Allegiant Joins Spirit Airlines in Charging Carry-on Baggage Fees
Allegiant Airlines is the latest low-cost domestic carrier to begin charging customers for their carry-ons, following Spirit Airlines similar move in 2010. While you're still allowed one personal item—such as a purse or laptop bag—starting this April, bringing smaller suitcases on board is no longer the guaranteed way to avoid baggage fees.
Although Allegiant and Spirit advertise more affordable airfares, extra costs such as carry-on baggage fees can surprise travelers, especially those trying to save on checked baggage charges, which often start at $25 per bag. In an attempt to offset high fuel costs, Spirit Airlines became the first domestic airline whose optional fees range from $20 to $45 for carry-on baggage. Allegiant’s fees depend on weight and when you pay; at the airport, the fee is an automatic $35, but reserving in advance can bring prices as low as $10.
While the fee may seem superfluous considering the many other fees airlines charge today, one benefit of carry-on baggage costs could be that it will help expedite the boarding and deplaning process. Passengers packing as much as possible into a smaller carry-on can cause delays due to limited overhead cabin space.
Andrew Levy, president of Allegiant Travel Co., acknowledges today's à la carte fee structure, "When flying Allegiant, travelers do not pay for something they do not need or want. We are confident that our customers will continue to appreciate our efforts to keep their base fare as low as possible, while offering a completely customized travel experience."
How would a carry-on charge on your next flight affect your travel plans?
Photo Credit: Allegiant Airlines via Shutterstock.com.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $449 & up -- Norwegian Getaway Caribbean Cruise w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $856 & up -- Costa Rica Volcano & Forest 6-Nt. Trip w/AirTripMasters.com
- $2279* & up -- Worldwide Business Class Fares (R/T w/Tax)ASAP Tickets
- $119 & up -- 4-Star San Diego Hotels, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $1225 & Up -- Waikiki: 4-Star Hilton Oceanview Stay w/AirApple Vacations
- $856* & up -- Europe Spring Fare Sale from the U.S. (R/T)Air France