World's Largest Titanic Exhibit Opens in Belfast
On March 31—one hundred years to the day on which construction of the RMS Titanic was completed in Belfast, in Northern Ireland—doors opened to the world’s largest Titanic exhibit, the "Titanic Belfast." The six-floor, nine-gallery museum showcases four hull-like structures standing as tall as the unsinkable ship herself, and takes visitors through the legendary liner's history, from its launch through its tragic sinking, which ultimately led to the loss of some 1,500 lives.
Featuring high-tech audio and video equipment, high-definition projectors, live feeds to research centers, and even a simulated ride through Belfast's turn-of-the-century shipyard, the exhibits immerse visitors in the lives of those who built, operated, and sailed upon the Titanic’s first and last voyage.
The galleries, designed by Event Communications (known for their work on the Victoria and Albert Museum, among other projects), begin with a look at the town of Belfast at the start of the 20th century, and then move through the Titanic’s construction and departure from Belfast to Southampton. From there, visitors step into an "avatar cave," a virtual 3-D environment where they can examine the ship’s various structural and luxury elements.
Visitors continue their voyage through to the ship’s departure from Southampton to New York City, to the collision with the iceberg, and to the ultimate sinking of the Titanic. The galleries conclude with the aftermath following the tragedy and a look into the discovery of the Titanic’s remains on the ocean floor.
For special events, the 1,000-person banquet hall features decor inspired by the elegant rooms of the original ship.
Tickets are $21 for adults, $11 for children, and are already sold out through April 16, 2012. For more information and to purchase advance tickets, visit www.titanicbelfast.com.
Thinking of a trip to Northern Ireland?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our Northern Ireland Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: courtesy Titanic Belfast
Member Comments (3) Post a Comment
Join us on a spectacular day tour from Dublin which includes guaranteed entrance and tour at Titanic Belfast. This day tour also visits the political murals and the peace wall. You will have a two hour visit at TitanicBelfast, plus two hours free time in Belfast a truly vibrant city. Visit http://www.titanicdaytour.com
Sorry about the double post below, but I think you get the point, Boycott Belfast.
Thank you for posting about the plight of Lennox and his family. After reading about him (and verifying the information posted was indeed true), my wife and Before visiting Belfast, please look into what is going on there. It is about the plight of an innocent dog named Lennox and his family. After reading about him (and verifying the information posted was indeed true), my wife and I have decided to skip Belfast completely on our holiday. We will have no part in visiting a city where they steal away innocent dogs and keep them locked up for years and lie to cover their own arses. Shame on Belfast and the politicians involved.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- 8 Cooling Beauty Products for Beating the Heat
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $3115 & up -- Bora Bora Upscale 5-Nt. Retreat incl. AirTahiti.com
- $1537 & up -- Travel Deals from Virgin Australia, 45% OffVirgin Australia
- $127-$144 -- Colorado: 4-Star Steamboat Springs ResortSheraton Steamboat Springs
- $109-$139 -- Weekends at West Denver Hotel incl. Wi-FiSheraton Denver West Hotel
- $1647 & up -- Dublin & Giant's Causeway Trip w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $9.10 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com