Permanent Chihuly Exhibit to Open in Seattle this May
Fans of iconic blown-glass sculptor Dale Chihuly can look forward to a permanent exhibit of his work opening in Seattle this spring. Debuting May 21 at the Seattle Center (site of the Space Needle), the "Chihuly Garden and Glass" installation is set to showcase an indoor/outdoor display of some of the artist’s most iconic glass sculptures.
A massive 12,000-square-foot exhibition space will feature nine galleries, eight of which display several of Chihuly’s blown-glass series (some works date back as far as 1971). Visitors can wander through room after room of the eerie, the beautiful, and the alien, viewing the Neon Forest, Sealife Tower, Mille Fiori, and Chandeliers. The ninth gallery will contain a 70-seat lecture hall and theater.
Outside, visitors can follow a garden walkway set underneath suspended glass chandeliers. The path leads to a glasshouse, containing Chihuly’s largest suspended sculpture exhibited to date, where over 1,000 glass pieces in red, orange, yellow, and a host of other hues dangle overhead as part of a cohesive glass structure. The large garden area will house a number of additional pieces, including Red Reeds, Neodymium, and Quadpod Towers.
Rounding out the exhibition space, a café with outdoor seating will feature a number of items from Chihuly’s collections of unusual and vintage items. Visitors can also pick up art supplies and artsy keepsakes at the gift shop.
Thinking of a trip to Seattle?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online Seattle Travel Guide.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- Fall 2014 Guide to Washington, D.C.
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo
- $399 & up -- Ends 10/24: Caribbean Cruises w/Onboard CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $3999 -- South Africa: Luxury Trip w/Helicopter & Wine ToursLion World Travel
- $746* & up -- Winter Fares to Europe from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $928* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $749 & up -- Cancun: All-Incl. Beachfront Escape w/ExtrasApple Vacations
- $89* & up -- Ends 10/28: Winter Fare Sale to/from NYC, O/WVirgin America