Luxury Experiential Resort Lumeria Maui Opens in Maui
Surfer-centric town Paia, on Maui’s North Shore, welcomed a new luxury resort to its midst in early March. Located on six acres of former sugarcane land, not far from famous surf spot Ho’okipa Beach, Lumeria Maui is an experiential retreat, with programs and classes centered on yoga, surfing, meditation, and Hawaiian culture. Yogis will flip for the yoga program, which features a rotating roster of masters, while surfers (kite- and wind-surfers, too) can hit the waves under the tutelage of esteemed professional surfers like Suzie Cooney and Buzzy Kerbox. Educational programs include tours of Hawaiian medicinal gardens led by Puanani Lindsey (of Maui Cultural Lands) and instruction on how to grow and use the herbs.
Award-winning architectural conservator Xorin Balbes transformed the original 1909 plantation estate into a beautifully modern retreat, while holding the property's heritage paramount. The original courtyard layout, lush grounds, and flowering gardens (many with fruit ripe for the picking) naturally complement the 24 luxury accommodations. Rooms and suites are spread within five lodge-style buildings and feature elegant appointments, sans Hawaiian kitsch, with views of the grounds, ocean, and the Haleakala volcano. We love the ornately carved poster beds (in some units), the river-rock shower floors, and the Japanese bathroom vanities. Organic meals are sourced from Lumeria’s own gardens and local farms.
Introductory rates, good through August 2012, start from $299/night, and include daily yoga and guided meditation, plus a light organic breakfast every morning. For more information and booking details visit LumeriaMaui.com
Thinking of a trip to Maui?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online Maui Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: courtesy Lumeria Maui
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 5 Reasons to Visit Houston Now
- Top 5 Things to Do in Queens
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- Checking In: Park Hyatt New York
- World's Best Cruises for 2015
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- $489 & up -- Southern Ireland Self-Drive TourTourism Ireland
- $9 & up -- Holiday Gift Guide: Deals on 1000+ ExperiencesTravelzoo
- $299 -- Balcony: 4-Night Bahamas Cruise on CelebrityCruise.com
- $199 & up -- Mediterranean Cruises incl. Italy & SpainNorwegian Cruise Line
- $319 -- Maui Oceanfront 4-Star Resort, Save 30%The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
- $69* & up -- Nationwide Fares on Award-Winning Airline, O/WVirgin America