Luxury Experiential Resort Lumeria Maui Opens in Maui
Surfer-centric town Paia, on Maui’s North Shore, welcomed a new luxury resort to its midst in early March. Located on six acres of former sugarcane land, not far from famous surf spot Ho’okipa Beach, Lumeria Maui is an experiential retreat, with programs and classes centered on yoga, surfing, meditation, and Hawaiian culture. Yogis will flip for the yoga program, which features a rotating roster of masters, while surfers (kite- and wind-surfers, too) can hit the waves under the tutelage of esteemed professional surfers like Suzie Cooney and Buzzy Kerbox. Educational programs include tours of Hawaiian medicinal gardens led by Puanani Lindsey (of Maui Cultural Lands) and instruction on how to grow and use the herbs.
Award-winning architectural conservator Xorin Balbes transformed the original 1909 plantation estate into a beautifully modern retreat, while holding the property's heritage paramount. The original courtyard layout, lush grounds, and flowering gardens (many with fruit ripe for the picking) naturally complement the 24 luxury accommodations. Rooms and suites are spread within five lodge-style buildings and feature elegant appointments, sans Hawaiian kitsch, with views of the grounds, ocean, and the Haleakala volcano. We love the ornately carved poster beds (in some units), the river-rock shower floors, and the Japanese bathroom vanities. Organic meals are sourced from Lumeria’s own gardens and local farms.
Introductory rates, good through August 2012, start from $299/night, and include daily yoga and guided meditation, plus a light organic breakfast every morning. For more information and booking details visit LumeriaMaui.com
Thinking of a trip to Maui?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online Maui Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: courtesy Lumeria Maui
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $149-$179 -- Weekends at Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 40%The Westin Galleria Dallas
- $215 & up -- Florida: 4-Star Hollywood Resort & Spa, 40% OffThe Westin Diplomat
- $56 & up -- Oceanfront room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 30% OffSea Watch Resort
- $179-$197 -- NYC: Weekends at 4-Star Downtown HotelSheraton New York Tribeca
- $1267 & up -- Costa Rica: 4-City, 7-Night Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $1225 & Up -- Waikiki: 4-Star Hilton Oceanview Stay w/AirApple Vacations