Luxury Experiential Resort Lumeria Maui Opens in Maui
Surfer-centric town Paia, on Maui’s North Shore, welcomed a new luxury resort to its midst in early March. Located on six acres of former sugarcane land, not far from famous surf spot Ho’okipa Beach, Lumeria Maui is an experiential retreat, with programs and classes centered on yoga, surfing, meditation, and Hawaiian culture. Yogis will flip for the yoga program, which features a rotating roster of masters, while surfers (kite- and wind-surfers, too) can hit the waves under the tutelage of esteemed professional surfers like Suzie Cooney and Buzzy Kerbox. Educational programs include tours of Hawaiian medicinal gardens led by Puanani Lindsey (of Maui Cultural Lands) and instruction on how to grow and use the herbs.
Award-winning architectural conservator Xorin Balbes transformed the original 1909 plantation estate into a beautifully modern retreat, while holding the property's heritage paramount. The original courtyard layout, lush grounds, and flowering gardens (many with fruit ripe for the picking) naturally complement the 24 luxury accommodations. Rooms and suites are spread within five lodge-style buildings and feature elegant appointments, sans Hawaiian kitsch, with views of the grounds, ocean, and the Haleakala volcano. We love the ornately carved poster beds (in some units), the river-rock shower floors, and the Japanese bathroom vanities. Organic meals are sourced from Lumeria’s own gardens and local farms.
Introductory rates, good through August 2012, start from $299/night, and include daily yoga and guided meditation, plus a light organic breakfast every morning. For more information and booking details visit LumeriaMaui.com
Thinking of a trip to Maui?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online Maui Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: courtesy Lumeria Maui
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now | Fodor's
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 13 Family-Friendly Hotels for Your Next Big Vacation
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally | Fodor's
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- Fall Travel: 5 Essentials for a Hudson Valley Escape | Fodor's
- $119-$159 -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
- $169 & up -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, Save 50%The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
- $210 & up -- Baltimore 4-Star Inner Harbor Hotel, 30% OffSheraton Inner Harbor Hotel
- $125 & up -- Vancouver Stanley Park Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Bayshore Vancouver
- $233-$269 -- NYC: Times Square Hotel incl. Holidays, 35% OffThe Westin New York Times Square