Luxury Experiential Resort Lumeria Maui Opens in Maui
Surfer-centric town Paia, on Maui’s North Shore, welcomed a new luxury resort to its midst in early March. Located on six acres of former sugarcane land, not far from famous surf spot Ho’okipa Beach, Lumeria Maui is an experiential retreat, with programs and classes centered on yoga, surfing, meditation, and Hawaiian culture. Yogis will flip for the yoga program, which features a rotating roster of masters, while surfers (kite- and wind-surfers, too) can hit the waves under the tutelage of esteemed professional surfers like Suzie Cooney and Buzzy Kerbox. Educational programs include tours of Hawaiian medicinal gardens led by Puanani Lindsey (of Maui Cultural Lands) and instruction on how to grow and use the herbs.
Award-winning architectural conservator Xorin Balbes transformed the original 1909 plantation estate into a beautifully modern retreat, while holding the property's heritage paramount. The original courtyard layout, lush grounds, and flowering gardens (many with fruit ripe for the picking) naturally complement the 24 luxury accommodations. Rooms and suites are spread within five lodge-style buildings and feature elegant appointments, sans Hawaiian kitsch, with views of the grounds, ocean, and the Haleakala volcano. We love the ornately carved poster beds (in some units), the river-rock shower floors, and the Japanese bathroom vanities. Organic meals are sourced from Lumeria’s own gardens and local farms.
Introductory rates, good through August 2012, start from $299/night, and include daily yoga and guided meditation, plus a light organic breakfast every morning. For more information and booking details visit LumeriaMaui.com
Thinking of a trip to Maui?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online Maui Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: courtesy Lumeria Maui
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1699 -- China: 3-City, 8-Night Vacation w/Air, Save $300Friendly Planet Travel
- $4599 -- Suite: 15-Night Luxury Indian Ocean CruiseWindstar Cruises
- $849 & up -- Balcony on Bahamas Cruise w/Unlimited DrinksNorwegian Cruise Line
- $549 & up -- Weeklong Caribbean Cruise in Spring, $440 OffRoyal Caribbean
- $719 & up -- 7-Night Canada & New England Cruise, $575 OffRoyal Caribbean
- $129 & up -- New Orleans Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago