Inn at Presidio Opens in Golden Gate National Park
Originally built in 1903 in the Presidio section of San Francisco's Golden Gate National Recreation Area (the only national park with its own community, counting some 8,000 inhabitants), the historic Inn at the Presidio will reopen on April 1 after extensive renovations and LEED-design innovations. The landmark building, known as Pershing Hall in the 1900s, served as bachelor officers’ quarters at the army post. Now, thanks to the scrupulous efforts of the Presidio Trust (along with BraytonHughes Design and the Architectural Resources Group), the century-old red-brick building will take on new life as a luxurious, eco-friendly inn.
The historic bones, including the original room layouts, were preserved: 17 spacious one-bedroom suites and five deluxe guest rooms have a classic, clean look; suites all have gas fireplaces and top-floor rooms have views of the bay and Golden Gate Bridge. Interiors all use repurposed and eco-friendly materials (insulation made from recycled cotton denim, U.S.-made wool area rugs, LEED nylon carpets) and a storm water collection pond on property (part of the Tennessee Hollow Watershed) helps supply naturally sourced water. There’s an outdoor patio with fire pit and cozy lobby for socializing, while hiking trails, ocean and bay beaches, and the Presidio golf course are minutes away. Rates range from $195/night to $350/night, and include breakfast and an evening wine and cheese reception. www.innatthepresidio.com
Thinking of a trip to San Francisco?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online San Francisco Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: courtesy Inn at the Presidio
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 10 Hotels With Over-the-Top Christmas Decorations
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- New All-Inclusive Resort Azul Sensatori Jamaica Opens in Negril
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $51 & up -- Las Vegas Hotel Sale w/$100 Dining CreditBookIt.com
- $849 -- Balcony: 7 Nights on World's Largest Ship w/TipsCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $95 & up -- Punta Cana: All-Incl. Beachfront Family ResortBookIt.com
- $5499 -- 7-Night Luxury All-Incl. Mediterranean Cruise w/AirRegent Seven Seas Cruises
- $162 & up -- Ireland 5-Star Hotel & Spa into the SpringTourism Ireland
- $72 & up -- Portland Hotel Deals up to 55% OffTravel Portland