Inn at Presidio Opens in Golden Gate National Park
Originally built in 1903 in the Presidio section of San Francisco's Golden Gate National Recreation Area (the only national park with its own community, counting some 8,000 inhabitants), the historic Inn at the Presidio will reopen on April 1 after extensive renovations and LEED-design innovations. The landmark building, known as Pershing Hall in the 1900s, served as bachelor officers’ quarters at the army post. Now, thanks to the scrupulous efforts of the Presidio Trust (along with BraytonHughes Design and the Architectural Resources Group), the century-old red-brick building will take on new life as a luxurious, eco-friendly inn.
The historic bones, including the original room layouts, were preserved: 17 spacious one-bedroom suites and five deluxe guest rooms have a classic, clean look; suites all have gas fireplaces and top-floor rooms have views of the bay and Golden Gate Bridge. Interiors all use repurposed and eco-friendly materials (insulation made from recycled cotton denim, U.S.-made wool area rugs, LEED nylon carpets) and a storm water collection pond on property (part of the Tennessee Hollow Watershed) helps supply naturally sourced water. There’s an outdoor patio with fire pit and cozy lobby for socializing, while hiking trails, ocean and bay beaches, and the Presidio golf course are minutes away. Rates range from $195/night to $350/night, and include breakfast and an evening wine and cheese reception. www.innatthepresidio.com
Thinking of a trip to San Francisco?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online San Francisco Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: courtesy Inn at the Presidio
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Where to Eat in Montreal Now
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2105 & up -- Sydney, Melbourne & Auckland 9 Nights w/AirTripMasters.com
- $679* & up -- Europe Fall Fares on 'Best Airline' (R/T)Lufthansa Airlines
- $75 & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Sale into 2015, O/WVirgin America
- $1065 & up -- 6-Nt. Madrid & Barcelona Trip w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $689 & up -- Cancun: All-Incl. 'Dreams' Vacation w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $101 & up -- Puerto Vallarta All-Incl. Beach Resort, 50% OffHotel Riu Palace Pacifico