Inn at Presidio Opens in Golden Gate National Park
Originally built in 1903 in the Presidio section of San Francisco's Golden Gate National Recreation Area (the only national park with its own community, counting some 8,000 inhabitants), the historic Inn at the Presidio will reopen on April 1 after extensive renovations and LEED-design innovations. The landmark building, known as Pershing Hall in the 1900s, served as bachelor officers’ quarters at the army post. Now, thanks to the scrupulous efforts of the Presidio Trust (along with BraytonHughes Design and the Architectural Resources Group), the century-old red-brick building will take on new life as a luxurious, eco-friendly inn.
The historic bones, including the original room layouts, were preserved: 17 spacious one-bedroom suites and five deluxe guest rooms have a classic, clean look; suites all have gas fireplaces and top-floor rooms have views of the bay and Golden Gate Bridge. Interiors all use repurposed and eco-friendly materials (insulation made from recycled cotton denim, U.S.-made wool area rugs, LEED nylon carpets) and a storm water collection pond on property (part of the Tennessee Hollow Watershed) helps supply naturally sourced water. There’s an outdoor patio with fire pit and cozy lobby for socializing, while hiking trails, ocean and bay beaches, and the Presidio golf course are minutes away. Rates range from $195/night to $350/night, and include breakfast and an evening wine and cheese reception. www.innatthepresidio.com
Thinking of a trip to San Francisco?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online San Francisco Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: courtesy Inn at the Presidio
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $110 & up -- Caribbean Travel Deals in Tobago up to 40% OffTobago Division of Tourism and Transportation
- $635 & up -- Maui 3-Nt. Beachfront Trips w/Air & Car RentalPleasant Holidays
- $889 & up -- Luxe Royal Hawaiian 3 Nts w/Air, Car, BreakfastPleasant Holidays
- $1399 -- Asia: 2-Week Celebrity Cruise w/$1000 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $909* & up -- Europe Fare Sale from across the U.S. (R/T)Lufthansa
- $119 & up -- New Orleans Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago