Inn at Presidio Opens in Golden Gate National Park
Originally built in 1903 in the Presidio section of San Francisco's Golden Gate National Recreation Area (the only national park with its own community, counting some 8,000 inhabitants), the historic Inn at the Presidio will reopen on April 1 after extensive renovations and LEED-design innovations. The landmark building, known as Pershing Hall in the 1900s, served as bachelor officers’ quarters at the army post. Now, thanks to the scrupulous efforts of the Presidio Trust (along with BraytonHughes Design and the Architectural Resources Group), the century-old red-brick building will take on new life as a luxurious, eco-friendly inn.
The historic bones, including the original room layouts, were preserved: 17 spacious one-bedroom suites and five deluxe guest rooms have a classic, clean look; suites all have gas fireplaces and top-floor rooms have views of the bay and Golden Gate Bridge. Interiors all use repurposed and eco-friendly materials (insulation made from recycled cotton denim, U.S.-made wool area rugs, LEED nylon carpets) and a storm water collection pond on property (part of the Tennessee Hollow Watershed) helps supply naturally sourced water. There’s an outdoor patio with fire pit and cozy lobby for socializing, while hiking trails, ocean and bay beaches, and the Presidio golf course are minutes away. Rates range from $195/night to $350/night, and include breakfast and an evening wine and cheese reception. www.innatthepresidio.com
Thinking of a trip to San Francisco?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online San Francisco Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: courtesy Inn at the Presidio
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays