Last-Minute Easter Getaways
It’s not too late to bunny-hop out of town for Easter weekend. We’ve rounded up some winning holiday packages, both on the home front and abroad, that will appeal to you and your kids alike for an Easter-inspired spring fling.
Easter Family Weekend at Ireland’s Ashford Castle
The legendary 700-year-old Ashford Castle, once owned by the Guinness family, is located on a lakeside estate in Mayo, Ireland. Its 83 rooms and suites are fit for royalty with original features, period furnishings, and loads of charm. This Easter, families can stay two nights in a Family Deluxe Room; pick up a dinner at George V (for parents) and at Ardilaun Suite (for the kids); enjoy a family treasure hunt, cooking class, movie screening, and arts and crafts activities—plus, meet the hotel’s resident owl, Dingle.
Insider Tip: Rooms in the older part of the castle have higher ceilings and most come with lake views.
The Deal: The two-night Easter Family Weekend offer is available for travel April 1–15, and costs $1,127 for a family of four (two adults and two children under 12).
Book It: Call 800-346-7007 or visit www.ashford.ie.
Easter Fun at Grand-Dame Resort in West Virginia
The Greenbrier is a sprawling grand old resort set in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains in West Virginia. Twenty-six presidents have stayed here and the old antebellum vibe of the South still prevails. Its 682 rooms, massive grounds (three golf courses included), recent renovations, and a new casino keep the old gal hopping. The Easter weekend package includes accommodations in a traditional room, tons of fun for families and kids (egg-dyeing, kids’ parade and dance party, egg hunt, puppet show, Jeopardy-themed family game), and tickets to a Virginia Tech a cappella concert on the grounds (Friday and Saturday).
Insider Tip: The property offers tours of its now declassified bunker, commissioned by the U.S. government during the Cold War era as an emergency fallout shelter.
The Deal The holiday offer is valid for stays April 6–8, and is priced from $430/night for two with an extra $20 per child. There is a two-night minimum.
Book It: Call 855-453-4858 or visit www.greenbrier.com.
Swanky Spa Holiday in Switzerland
The palatial Dolder Grand in Zurich sits atop Zürichberg Mountain, overlooking downtown and Zurich Lake. Its turrets, spires, timbered balconies, and new shiny glass-and-steel wings, courtesy of Norman Foster, epitomize Swiss luxury. The resort’s Easter package includes two nights’ accommodations, an Easter surprise amenity, one garden breakfast and an Easter brunch, and two 60-minute spa treatments (a firming facial for the ladies; a massage for the gents).
Insider Tip: Superior Rooms in the new wings all have balconies, while those in the original main building don’t. Book accordingly.
The Deal: Package prices start from $1,830 for stays April 6–9.
Book It: Call 011/41-44-456-6000 or visit www.thedoldergrand.com.
New England Easter Mountain Getaway
Located on a forested mountainside in Stowe, Vermont, Topnotch Resort & Spa has 71 farmhouse-style rooms (with plaid fabrics, patchwork quilts, and wood shutters), a fantastic spa, indoor/outdoor tennis courts, and a great location close to Stowe and Stoweflake ski resorts (and about an hour drive from Burlington airport). Book your holiday weekend at the family-friendly resort and partake in all the Easter festivities: egg coloring and Easter crafts, family movie night, a Sunday Easter egg hunt, and Easter brunch at Norma’s (at an additional $39 per adult and $19 per child).
Insider Tip: Though this warm weather may cut the ski season short, Stowe Mountain is reportedly still covered in 24-plus inches of snow—and you never know what April will bring.
The Deal: Easter weekend rates start from $195/night and all guests are permitted to join in on the festivities.
Book It: Call 800-451-8686 or visit www.topnotchresort.com.
Photo Credit: courtesy Ashford Castle
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $3860 & up -- Europe: 9-Nt. Trip w/London, Paris, ItalyGreat Value Vacations
- $3999 -- 12-Night South America Cruise on Oceania incl. AirOceania Cruises
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, $1000 OffOceania Cruises
- $629 & up -- 5-Nt. All-Inclusive Jamaica Trip, 50% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $539 & up -- 10-Nt. Mediterranean Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $199* -- Coast-to-Coast Spring Fares into May, One WayVirgin America