Coppola’s Italian Palazzo Hotel Opens
Southern Italy’s Matera, one of our 21 places to go in 2012, is old-country Italy where prehistoric cave dwellings abut medieval villages, and friendly locals far outnumber tourists. That is, until now. The secret is out, most recently due to the buzz surrounding Francis Ford Coppola’s newest hotel, Palazzo Margherita. The property is located near Matera in the southern Italian province of Basilicata, in a sleepy seaside hamlet that was the birthplace of Coppola’s grandfather.
The 19th-century palazzo has been transformed into a small but splendid hideaway. All nine romantic rooms face an inner courtyard. Three country-house style garden rooms come with restored marble floors, claw-foot tubs, arched doorways, and the latest technology (plus, free Wi-Fi), while six suites are more dramatic with frescoed ceilings and a distinct design theme (Tunisian flair, Art Deco glamour, Rococo elegance); some suites have balconies. The downstairs salon becomes a cinema at night with state-of-the-art projection and a host of Italian film classics. A pretty swimming pool is tucked behind the lush walled gardens. Rates start from €800 and include in-room beverages, breakfast, and cooking lessons.
Photo credit: courtesy Palazzo Margherita
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 20 US Places to See Before You Die
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Checking In: Park Hyatt New York
- World's Best Cruises for 2015
- 5 Reasons to Visit Houston Now
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 5 Reasons to Visit Addis Ababa Now
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- Top 5 Things to Do in Queens
- $599 -- Oceanview: 10-Nt. Panama Canal Cruise w/$100 CreditCruise.com
- $64 & up -- Myrtle Beach One-Bedroom Oceanview CondoPrince Resort at the Cherrry Grove Pier
- $689 -- Oceanview: 7-Nt. Winter Caribbean Cruise on PrincessCruise.com
- $949 & up -- Hawaii: Weeklong Cruise to 4 IslandsNorwegian Cruise Line
- $199-$229 -- South Florida: Delray Beach Hotel, Save 20%Delray Beach Marriott
- $609 & up -- Los Cabos Beachfront Vacation w/Air, $280 OffCheapCaribbean.com