Coppola’s Italian Palazzo Hotel Opens
Southern Italy’s Matera, one of our 21 places to go in 2012, is old-country Italy where prehistoric cave dwellings abut medieval villages, and friendly locals far outnumber tourists. That is, until now. The secret is out, most recently due to the buzz surrounding Francis Ford Coppola’s newest hotel, Palazzo Margherita. The property is located near Matera in the southern Italian province of Basilicata, in a sleepy seaside hamlet that was the birthplace of Coppola’s grandfather.
The 19th-century palazzo has been transformed into a small but splendid hideaway. All nine romantic rooms face an inner courtyard. Three country-house style garden rooms come with restored marble floors, claw-foot tubs, arched doorways, and the latest technology (plus, free Wi-Fi), while six suites are more dramatic with frescoed ceilings and a distinct design theme (Tunisian flair, Art Deco glamour, Rococo elegance); some suites have balconies. The downstairs salon becomes a cinema at night with state-of-the-art projection and a host of Italian film classics. A pretty swimming pool is tucked behind the lush walled gardens. Rates start from €800 and include in-room beverages, breakfast, and cooking lessons.
Photo credit: courtesy Palazzo Margherita
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $216 & up -- Miami Beach Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $749 & up -- 9-Night Bermuda & Caribbean Cruise, Save $600Royal Caribbean
- $2499 -- Oceanview: 7-Night Luxe Alaska Cruise incl. AirOceania Cruises
- $615 & up -- Maui 3-Nt. Beachfront Trips w/Air & Car RentalPleasant Holidays
- $1374 & up -- Bangkok & Phuket 6-Nt. Trip w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $118 & up -- Chicago Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago