New Smithsonian Museum Breaks Ground
On Wednesday, President Obama and his wife attended the groundbreaking Washington, D.C., ceremony for the Smithsonian Institution’s new National Museum of African American History and Culture, which will exhibit displays depicting the African-American experience in the United States. "With this groundbreaking, we move closer toward creating a museum to make manifest the dreams of many generations," said Lonnie G. Bunch III, founding director of the museum. "The structure about to rise on the National Mall will be a signature building, and the museum it houses will give us a way to ensure that America understands the African-American experience as a history that has shaped us all."
The new museum—the 19th for the Smithsonian—will sit on five acres set adjacent to the Washington Monument. According to the Smithsonian, it will be the "largest and most comprehensive cultural destination devoted exclusively to showcasing African-American life, art, history, and culture." Slated for completion in 2015, construction is expected to cost about $500 million, with the tab split between Congress-supplied and privately raised funds.
The museum has collected about 25,000 artifacts to date, including items belonging to Harriet Tubman, a Tuskegee Airmen Boeing-Stearman PT-13D trainer plane, and works by prominent African-American artists. Some of its current collection is currently on view in the National Museum of American History: Through October 17, visitors can view the "Slavery at Jefferson’s Monticello: Paradox of Liberty," exhibit, which details the lives of six slave families at Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello Plantation.
Thinking of a trip to Washington, D.C.?
For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our check out our online Washington, D.C. Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Smithsonian Institution
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $3847 & up -- Greece: 9-Nt. Vacation w/Air & Island CruiseGreat Value Vacations
- $75 & up -- Ocean View Room at Myrtle Beach Resort, 30% OffThe Caribbean Resort & Villas
- $169 & up -- Charleston Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $609 & up -- Hawaii 3-Night Vacations w/Air & Car RentalPleasant Holidays
- $2399 -- Luxe 10-Nt. Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, Save $2000Oceania Cruises
- $779 & up -- Mexico: All-Incl. 4-Star Dreams Vacation w/AirApple Vacations