The Saint New Orleans Hotel Debuts in French Quarter
The New Orleans festival season is in full swing—Mardi Gras finishes up this week, the French Quarter Fest gets going April 12–15, and Jazz Fest hits town April 27–May 6 with an amazing lineup, including Bruce Springsteen, Bon Iver, Foo Fighters, Florence + the Machine, Eddie Vedder, My Morning Jacket, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Whether you’re headed south for the fêtes or anytime in between, there’s a new French Quarter hotel worth checking out (er, into).
The Saint New Orleans, a member of Marriott’s Autograph Collection, opened in January in the historic Audubon building on Canal Street. The 1909 landmark underwent major renovations to create a more current look, without neglecting the building’s past (nods to the structure’s history peek out here and there, with exposed original brickwork and large historic black-and-white murals of the area). While the stately Beaux Arts exterior remains largely unchanged, interiors sport a fresh, sexy feel with monochromatic color schemes, a columned lobby with soaring ceilings, gossamer draperies, and giant bell-shaped chandeliers.
The 166 rooms, averaging around 320 square feet each, are spread within eight stories and come in a blue-and-white palette with large windows, exposed brick panels, marble baths, white lacquered furnishings, custom mirrored headboards, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
Sweet Olive, helmed by Chef Michael Stoltzfus of Coquette fame, boasts a regularly updated seasonal menu focused on local produce, while the hotel’s Burgundy Bar, named so for the burgundy velvet that swathes the space and its side entrance on Burgundy Street, features a nightly lineup of live jazz and musical acts. Rooftop bar Halo, meanwhile, welcomes sunbathers by day (with a cooling misting system for those extra hot summer days) and turns into a boozy lounge scene after dark with custom cocktails, small plates courtesy of Sweet Olive, and homespun DJ beats. Starting rates in March go for $209/night.
Thinking of a trip to New Orleans? For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our New Orleans Travel Guide.
Photo Credit: Courtesy The Saint Hotel
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
Just stayed at the property and the check in and room service were flawless so they must have worked out the kinks! The property is, in a word, beautiful. The rooms have some of the most comfortable beds to be found in a hotel, and my wife particularly loved the bath products. In a word...excellent.
Best hotel by far in New Orleans that we have ever stayed in. We will be back!
I hope they've improved their customer service since they opened. In mid-January I tried to contact them for an upcoming visit to New Orleans and their online booking system didn't work. When I called the hotel to inquire about a reservation in late March, the staff, was shall we say, less than helpful -- I was disconnected several times and then was given the name of a person to speak to. I called and emailed and they never contacted me. I realize that new properties need to work out the kinks, but geez.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Italy: What to Skip, and Where to Go Instead
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 25% Off -- Amtrak Northeast Regional FaresAmtrak
- $99* & up -- Premium Economy: Nationwide Fare Sale, O/WVirgin America
- $119 -- 4-Star Miami Hotel w/Upgrade, 55% OffProvident Doral at The Blue - Miami
- $1699 -- Luxe Turkey 11-Night, 7-City Escorted Trip w/AirGate 1 Travel
- $209-$249 -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $159 -- Luxe Colorado Resort incl. Weekends this SpringWestin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain