JetBlue, Southwest Airlines Raise Fares; Others Follow
After JetBlue Airways increased the base fares of its tickets earlier this week, several other carriers followed suit, raising prices by $10 a ticket. JetBlue started the wave of fare hikes by implementing the $5 boost each way across many of their national routes of medium length, over 500 miles, or longer. Southwest Airlines was next to follow on Wednesday, extending nationwide an earlier raise limited to Florida, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. Denver was the only route spared by Southwest, though it was later targeted by other airlines. By Thursday, United, Delta, American and US Airways had matched the increases, ensuring the $10 hit would be felt in wallets across the country.
Airlines have pointed to the high cost of jet fuel as a primary reason for the increase. As The Washington Post reported, jet fuel accounts for nearly one-third of an airline's costs, and airlines have been feeling the pain as crude oil prices have risen.
How long will the traveling public stand for the increasing cost of flight? Weigh in with your opinion in the comments section below.
Photo Credit: Southwest via Christopher Parypa / Shutterstock.com
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- America's Best Wine Bars
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 15 Best Places to Drink Hot Chocolate in America
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays