JetBlue, Southwest Airlines Raise Fares; Others Follow
After JetBlue Airways increased the base fares of its tickets earlier this week, several other carriers followed suit, raising prices by $10 a ticket. JetBlue started the wave of fare hikes by implementing the $5 boost each way across many of their national routes of medium length, over 500 miles, or longer. Southwest Airlines was next to follow on Wednesday, extending nationwide an earlier raise limited to Florida, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. Denver was the only route spared by Southwest, though it was later targeted by other airlines. By Thursday, United, Delta, American and US Airways had matched the increases, ensuring the $10 hit would be felt in wallets across the country.
Airlines have pointed to the high cost of jet fuel as a primary reason for the increase. As The Washington Post reported, jet fuel accounts for nearly one-third of an airline's costs, and airlines have been feeling the pain as crude oil prices have risen.
How long will the traveling public stand for the increasing cost of flight? Weigh in with your opinion in the comments section below.
Photo Credit: Southwest via Christopher Parypa / Shutterstock.com
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2279* & up -- Worldwide Business Class Fares (R/T w/Tax)ASAP Tickets
- $1049 & up -- Jamaica: All-Incl. 'Kids Stay Free' Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $235 -- New 4-Star Punta Cana 'Westin' Resort, 30% OffWestin Puntacana Resort & Club
- $1267 & up -- Costa Rica: 4-City, 7-Night Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $1528 & up -- Escorted 7-Nt. Sicily Splendors Land-Only TourApple Vacations
- $1799 & up -- Melbourne & Sydney 8-Nt. Trip w/Air, Save $760Goway Travel