JetBlue, Southwest Airlines Raise Fares; Others Follow
After JetBlue Airways increased the base fares of its tickets earlier this week, several other carriers followed suit, raising prices by $10 a ticket. JetBlue started the wave of fare hikes by implementing the $5 boost each way across many of their national routes of medium length, over 500 miles, or longer. Southwest Airlines was next to follow on Wednesday, extending nationwide an earlier raise limited to Florida, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. Denver was the only route spared by Southwest, though it was later targeted by other airlines. By Thursday, United, Delta, American and US Airways had matched the increases, ensuring the $10 hit would be felt in wallets across the country.
Airlines have pointed to the high cost of jet fuel as a primary reason for the increase. As The Washington Post reported, jet fuel accounts for nearly one-third of an airline's costs, and airlines have been feeling the pain as crude oil prices have risen.
How long will the traveling public stand for the increasing cost of flight? Weigh in with your opinion in the comments section below.
Photo Credit: Southwest via Christopher Parypa / Shutterstock.com
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- 15 Best Beach Getaways for 2015
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $249 -- Last Minute: 5-Night Caribbean Cruise on CelebrityCruise.com
- $86 & up -- NYC: Manhattan Hotel near Times Square, 65% OffBookIt.com
- $1169 -- New Zealand: Wellington & Napier Food & Wine TripTravelscene
- $3299 -- Luxury Kenya Trip incl. Game Drives & AirLion World Travel
- $71 -- LA: Manhattan Beach Hotel w/Breakfast, 55% OffBookIt.com
- $499 -- 7-Night Spring Caribbean Cruise on Royal CaribbeanCruise.com