JetBlue, Southwest Airlines Raise Fares; Others Follow
After JetBlue Airways increased the base fares of its tickets earlier this week, several other carriers followed suit, raising prices by $10 a ticket. JetBlue started the wave of fare hikes by implementing the $5 boost each way across many of their national routes of medium length, over 500 miles, or longer. Southwest Airlines was next to follow on Wednesday, extending nationwide an earlier raise limited to Florida, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. Denver was the only route spared by Southwest, though it was later targeted by other airlines. By Thursday, United, Delta, American and US Airways had matched the increases, ensuring the $10 hit would be felt in wallets across the country.
Airlines have pointed to the high cost of jet fuel as a primary reason for the increase. As The Washington Post reported, jet fuel accounts for nearly one-third of an airline's costs, and airlines have been feeling the pain as crude oil prices have risen.
How long will the traveling public stand for the increasing cost of flight? Weigh in with your opinion in the comments section below.
Photo Credit: Southwest via Christopher Parypa / Shutterstock.com
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Top 10 Places to Go for Spring 2015
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Washington State
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 6 Must-Have French Beauty Products
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- $77 & up -- Summer on Florida's Gulf Coast, up to 60% OffThe Beaches of Fort Myers-Sanibel
- $159 -- Luxe Colorado Resort incl. Weekends this SpringWestin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $99 -- Palm Springs 4-Diamond Resort w/$25 Credit, 45% OffGreater Palm Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau
- $1599* & up -- Business Class Flights to Brazil (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $149-$189 -- Cleveland: New 4-Star Hotel Downtown, 40% OffThe Westin Cleveland Downtown
- $219 & up -- 4-Star Midtown Manhattan Westin, 20% OffThe Westin New York Grand Central