JetBlue, Southwest Airlines Raise Fares; Others Follow
After JetBlue Airways increased the base fares of its tickets earlier this week, several other carriers followed suit, raising prices by $10 a ticket. JetBlue started the wave of fare hikes by implementing the $5 boost each way across many of their national routes of medium length, over 500 miles, or longer. Southwest Airlines was next to follow on Wednesday, extending nationwide an earlier raise limited to Florida, Las Vegas, and Phoenix. Denver was the only route spared by Southwest, though it was later targeted by other airlines. By Thursday, United, Delta, American and US Airways had matched the increases, ensuring the $10 hit would be felt in wallets across the country.
Airlines have pointed to the high cost of jet fuel as a primary reason for the increase. As The Washington Post reported, jet fuel accounts for nearly one-third of an airline's costs, and airlines have been feeling the pain as crude oil prices have risen.
How long will the traveling public stand for the increasing cost of flight? Weigh in with your opinion in the comments section below.
Photo Credit: Southwest via Christopher Parypa / Shutterstock.com
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- World's Best Golf Resorts
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $149-$249 -- Downtown Seattle 4-Star Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Seattle
- $2149 & up -- Luxe China River Cruise w/Air, $1100 OffVacances Sinorama
- $189 & up -- NYC: Times Square Westin thru Fall, 75% OffThe Westin New York Times Square
- $700* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $269-$299 -- NYC: 4-Star Hotel at Brooklyn Bridge, Save 25%New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge
- $639* & up -- Fly to Peru from the U.S. (Roundtrip w/Tax)LAN