Discover where to find religious artwork in Mexico
Five blocks from the main plaza in Valladolid on the Yucatán sits the 500-year-old monastery Ex-Convento y Iglesia San Bernadino. If the priest is around, ask him to show you the 16th-century frescoes, protected behind curtains near the altarpiece, for some early examples of native representations of Christian saints.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- 10 Best Home Estate Tours in the U.S.
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo | Fodor's
- $169-$239 -- 4-Star Downtown Nashville Hotel, Save 45%Sheraton Nashville Downtown
- $183-$269 -- NYC: Manhattan Westin thru Holidays, 40% OffThe Westin New York Grand Central
- $338* & up -- Fare Sale to Europe (One-Way, R/T Required)LOT Polish Airlines
- $639* & up -- Europe Fall Fares on 'Best Airline' (R/T)Lufthansa Airlines
- $125 & up -- Vancouver Stanley Park Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Bayshore Vancouver
- $20 & up -- Arizona: Lake, Grand Canyon & Sedona ToursVisit Mesa