Discover where to find religious artwork in Mexico
Five blocks from the main plaza in Valladolid on the Yucatán sits the 500-year-old monastery Ex-Convento y Iglesia San Bernadino. If the priest is around, ask him to show you the 16th-century frescoes, protected behind curtains near the altarpiece, for some early examples of native representations of Christian saints.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- $3299 -- Luxury Kenya Trip incl. Game Drives & AirLion World Travel
- $135-$189 -- Cleveland: New 4-Star Hotel Downtown, 40% OffThe Westin Cleveland Downtown
- $1479 & up -- Ixtapa All-Incl. 7-Nt. Trip w/Air & TransfersApple Vacations
- $679 -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise w/CreditPriceline Cruises
- $110 & up -- Punta Cana: 4-Star All-Incl. Resort w/Free GolfBookIt.com
- $629 & up -- Riviera Maya Beachside Riu Vacation w/AirCheapCaribbean.com