Discover where to find religious artwork in Mexico
Five blocks from the main plaza in Valladolid on the Yucatán sits the 500-year-old monastery Ex-Convento y Iglesia San Bernadino. If the priest is around, ask him to show you the 16th-century frescoes, protected behind curtains near the altarpiece, for some early examples of native representations of Christian saints.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 10 Products and Services Every Super Traveler Needs
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- 10 Luxurious Log Cabins Across the U.S.
- 10 Best Outdoor Music Venues in the U.S.
- $1699 -- Luxe Turkey 11-Night, 7-City Escorted Trip w/AirGate 1 Travel
- $3999 -- Japan 10-Night Small Group Escorted Tour w/AirGate 1 Travel
- $899 & up -- Hawaii: Weeklong Cruise to 4 Islands w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $239 & up -- Boston 4-Star Hotel near Newbury St., 20% OffSheraton Boston
- $579 & up -- Cabo: Riu All-Inclusive 4-Night Escape w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $972* & up -- Flights to Galapagos from the U.S. (R/T)LAN