Consider using cash instead of a credit card in Belize
Hotels, restaurants, shops, and tour operators in Belize sometimes levy a surcharge for credit card use, usually 5%, but fees can range from 2% to 10%.
Thinking of a trip to Belize? For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online Belize Travel Guide.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
If you try to use your card at an ATM and get a message telling you that the machine is out of money, keep track of it to make sure that your card is not charged anyway. Most travelers do not keep track. If you discover that you have been charged for a cash advance that you did not make you will have trouble getting the money back because the transaction has been processed through a long string of banks, and each one will claim that the error occurred somewhere else.
I personally protect myself by using a bank that has branches all over the world, in my case with the exception of the US. I use it only in branches of the same bank.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $185 & up -- LA: West Hollywood Hotel Deals up to 40% OffVisit West Hollywood
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $1299 -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Fly & Drive Package w/Castle StayAer Lingus Vacation Store
- $179-$197 -- NYC: Weekends at 4-Star Downtown HotelSheraton New York Tribeca
- $270 & up -- Boston Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $999 -- Ireland: 4-Night Dublin Escape in Fall w/AirAer Lingus Vacation Store