Consider using cash instead of a credit card in Belize
Hotels, restaurants, shops, and tour operators in Belize sometimes levy a surcharge for credit card use, usually 5%, but fees can range from 2% to 10%.
Thinking of a trip to Belize? For up-to-the-minute hotel and restaurant recommendations, plus the best planning advice, check out our online Belize Travel Guide.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
If you try to use your card at an ATM and get a message telling you that the machine is out of money, keep track of it to make sure that your card is not charged anyway. Most travelers do not keep track. If you discover that you have been charged for a cash advance that you did not make you will have trouble getting the money back because the transaction has been processed through a long string of banks, and each one will claim that the error occurred somewhere else.
I personally protect myself by using a bank that has branches all over the world, in my case with the exception of the US. I use it only in branches of the same bank.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- 15 Things NOT to Do in New York City
- 10 Best Regional Theaters in the U.S.
- $99 & up -- Condo: 4-Star Panama City Beach Resort, 50% OffBookIt.com
- $89 & up -- Hotel Deals Across Arizona through WinterVisit Arizona
- $249-$299-- Colorado: 4-Star Steamboat Springs ResortSheraton Steamboat Springs
- $249 -- Last Minute: 4-Night Bahamas Cruise on CelebrityCruise.com
- $322 -- Maui Oceanfront 4-Star Resort, Save 30%The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
- $180 & up -- 4-Star San Diego Waterfront Resort, 50% OffBookIt.com