With Cruise Bookings Down, Cruise Sales Crop Up
By Elissa Richard
As industry experts forebodingly predicted, cruise bookings have indeed plummeted in the wake of the Costa Concordia shipwreck, during the height of what’s normally considered "wave season" (the peak booking period for cruise lines). A highly discernible decrease in bookings—with a percentage drop somewhere "in the mid-teens compared to the prior year"—was reported by Carnival Corp., industry bigwig and the parent company of some 10 major cruise brands (including Costa, along with Carnival, Holland America, Princess, and more). Royal Caribbean International, meanwhile, parent company of Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and several other brands, likewise reported similar drops on bookings, up to 20 percent lower compared to last year (though that number has improved slightly over the last week).
Why the drastic drop? It’s a combined effect: Would-be cruisers are hesitant to return to the high seas as they continue to process the frightful images of the accident, while a reduction in cruise companies’ marketing campaigns following the incident has left the cruise lines with less reach on their prospective clients. As companies begin to resume their advertising, we’re also seeing new cruise sales crop up in tandem, designed to reel reluctant bookers back onboard. Here are two of the best new cruise deals currently making waves:
Carnival Offers Up to $400 Cash Back On Bookings
The Deal: Carnival’s "Triple Play Sale" offers $50 cash back on bookings for 3- to 4-night sailings (priced from $179/person); $100 cash back for 5- to 6-night cruises (from $179/person); $200 cash back on 7- to 16-night itineraries (from $329/person); or as much as $400 cash back on select European sailings (from $849/person).
Book By: February 9
Booking Info: Carnival.com
Princess Posts Summer Sales for Europe, Alaska & More
The Deal: Book Princess’s "Sizzlin’ Summer Sale" for up to $1,400 in savings per stateroom on select European, Alaskan, and transatlantic cruises; deals are additionally available on land-and-cruise combo vacations. Promotional rates start at $699/person.
Book By: February 28
Booking Info: Princess.com
Photo Credit: courtesy Princess Cruises
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- America's Most Scenic Roads
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- San Francisco's 15 Best Views
- Long Weekend in Bar Harbor | Fodor's
- Ultimate Guide to Vienna's Coffee Renaissance
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- Fall 2014 Guide to Chicago
- $135-$159 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. Holidays, $100 OffThe Westin San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
- $1299 & up -- Berlin, Prague, Vienna & Budapest 8-Nts. w/AirTripMasters.com
- $1498* & up -- Fly to Australia: 6 Cities on Sale, R/TAir New Zealand
- $7099 & up -- 4-Star Australia 11-Night Vacation w/AirDown Under Endeavours
- $3015* & up -- Worldwide Business Class Fares (R/T w/Tax)ASAP Tickets
- $118 -- 4-Diamond Calgary Hotel: Weekends w/ParkingWestin Calgary