With Cruise Bookings Down, Cruise Sales Crop Up
By Elissa Richard
As industry experts forebodingly predicted, cruise bookings have indeed plummeted in the wake of the Costa Concordia shipwreck, during the height of what’s normally considered "wave season" (the peak booking period for cruise lines). A highly discernible decrease in bookings—with a percentage drop somewhere "in the mid-teens compared to the prior year"—was reported by Carnival Corp., industry bigwig and the parent company of some 10 major cruise brands (including Costa, along with Carnival, Holland America, Princess, and more). Royal Caribbean International, meanwhile, parent company of Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and several other brands, likewise reported similar drops on bookings, up to 20 percent lower compared to last year (though that number has improved slightly over the last week).
Why the drastic drop? It’s a combined effect: Would-be cruisers are hesitant to return to the high seas as they continue to process the frightful images of the accident, while a reduction in cruise companies’ marketing campaigns following the incident has left the cruise lines with less reach on their prospective clients. As companies begin to resume their advertising, we’re also seeing new cruise sales crop up in tandem, designed to reel reluctant bookers back onboard. Here are two of the best new cruise deals currently making waves:
Carnival Offers Up to $400 Cash Back On Bookings
The Deal: Carnival’s "Triple Play Sale" offers $50 cash back on bookings for 3- to 4-night sailings (priced from $179/person); $100 cash back for 5- to 6-night cruises (from $179/person); $200 cash back on 7- to 16-night itineraries (from $329/person); or as much as $400 cash back on select European sailings (from $849/person).
Book By: February 9
Booking Info: Carnival.com
Princess Posts Summer Sales for Europe, Alaska & More
The Deal: Book Princess’s "Sizzlin’ Summer Sale" for up to $1,400 in savings per stateroom on select European, Alaskan, and transatlantic cruises; deals are additionally available on land-and-cruise combo vacations. Promotional rates start at $699/person.
Book By: February 28
Booking Info: Princess.com
Photo Credit: courtesy Princess Cruises
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Fodor's Go List 2014
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- 7 Reasons to Go to Miami this Winter
- 7 Quirky American Winter Festivals
- Weekend Escape: Holiday Shopping in NYC
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- American Airlines Introduces New Transcontinental Fleet
- Mexico City's Coolest New Museums
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $689 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $152 -- Maui Beachfront Resort in Winter, 45% OffAston Kaanapali Shores
- $679 & up -- 3-Nt. Cancun All-Inclusive Trip w/Air, 50% OffLiberty Travel
- $585 & up -- Puerto Rico 4-Star Trip w/Air & $150 CreditLiberty Travel
- $895 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays