Best Hotel Ice Skating Rinks
Hotels and resorts often transform into winter wonderlands to attract guests during the chilly season, but because decorations in the lobby only go so far, many properties have hopped on the pop-up ice skating rink trend. Whether staying at swanky urban spot in New York, or a mountain getaway in Vail, we've rounded up our favorites from around the world.
The Charles Hotel in Boston
Rooms at The Charles Hotel in Boston look out on the Charles River and Harvard Square in Cambridge—and now an ice skating rink as well. The hotel keeps its 2,900-square-foot rink open through March, and both guests of the hotel and visitors get the same bargain rates: $5 for adults, and $3 for children 12 and under.
The Standard in New York
Having debuted in 2010, the 3,000-square-foot rink at The Standard, a boutique hotel in New York's Meatpacking District, reopened in December along with the adjoining Kaffeeklatsch, where skaters can snack on crêpes and waffles, hot chocolate, or spiced apple cider. The rink is open to the public until midnight every day through February, and until 1 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. Admission is $13 for adults.
La Réserve Genève Hotel & Spa in Geneva
A private ice rink was installed in December at La Réserve Genève Hotel & Spa, and through February 26, guests can skate (or take lessons) while gazing out at Lake Geneva and the snow-capped Alps. After skating, kick back at a pop-up chalet, where waiters deliver blankets, champagne or hot mulled wine, crêpes, oysters, and caviar. A weekend stay at the property starts at $1,076, minus champagne and caviar.
Arrabelle at Vail Square in Colorado
Vail may be best known for its world-class skiing, but those who prefer to zoom around on level ground have options, too. The Arrabelle at Vail Square (pictured above) doesn't have a rink connected to it, but the Adlerhof Ice Rink, open daily with fire pit anchors for foot-warming, is just steps away. After skating, you can stroll the shops, or grab a bite at one of Vail’s restaurants.
Fodors.com contributor Cathleen McCarthy is the travel rewards expert for CreditCards.com and covers hotel and travel deals in Northeast cities on her own network, Save on Cities. Her stories have appeared in The Washington Post, WSJ, Amtrak ARRIVE, Town & Country, and many inflight magazines.
Photo credit: courtesy Arrabelle at Vail Square
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
The <a href="http://www.glenwoodnyc.com/manhattan-living/ice-skating-nyc-standard-hotel-new-york/">ice skating rink at the Standard Hotel</a> has recently become one of my favorites. It's never as crowded as the rest of the ice skating rinks in NYC, but it's definitely a lot smaller.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays