Gagosian Gallery Challenges Travelers to "Spot" Damien Hirst
Spotted: a travel challenge. Earlier this month, the contemporary Gagosian Gallery launched a worldwide exhibition of mega-artist Damien Hirst's colorful spot paintings. Over 300 paintings will be on display throughout Larry Gagosian's eleven international galleries, and travelers who gallery hop to every show before the exhibition ends will receive a signed spot print with a personal dedication from Hirst.
Hirst is perhaps most famous for displaying a 14-foot tiger shark in a formaldehyde tank and bedazzling a skull with diamonds. But he started creating his signature spot paintings in 1986, and has continued their production with the help of assistants through 2011. Each white canvas features an assortment of colorful dots, precisely placed and coordinated so that no color appears twice on the same painting.
A handful of travelers have already completed the "Spot Challenge", but you can catch up by registering online, picking up your participant card at any Gagosian Gallery, and jetting off to New York, Los Angeles, London, Paris, Rome, Hong Kong, and beyond. You don't have long, either: Dates vary by gallery, but the latest closing is March 17, in Geneva.
Photo credit: (left) "Famotidine', 2004 - 2011 (right) "Levorphanol", 1995 ©Damien Hirst and Science Ltd. All rights reserved, DACS 2011. Photography by Prudence Cuming Associates
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Fodor's Approved: Best Summer Weekend Bags
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers