Gagosian Gallery Challenges Travelers to "Spot" Damien Hirst
Spotted: a travel challenge. Earlier this month, the contemporary Gagosian Gallery launched a worldwide exhibition of mega-artist Damien Hirst's colorful spot paintings. Over 300 paintings will be on display throughout Larry Gagosian's eleven international galleries, and travelers who gallery hop to every show before the exhibition ends will receive a signed spot print with a personal dedication from Hirst.
Hirst is perhaps most famous for displaying a 14-foot tiger shark in a formaldehyde tank and bedazzling a skull with diamonds. But he started creating his signature spot paintings in 1986, and has continued their production with the help of assistants through 2011. Each white canvas features an assortment of colorful dots, precisely placed and coordinated so that no color appears twice on the same painting.
A handful of travelers have already completed the "Spot Challenge", but you can catch up by registering online, picking up your participant card at any Gagosian Gallery, and jetting off to New York, Los Angeles, London, Paris, Rome, Hong Kong, and beyond. You don't have long, either: Dates vary by gallery, but the latest closing is March 17, in Geneva.
Photo credit: (left) "Famotidine', 2004 - 2011 (right) "Levorphanol", 1995 ©Damien Hirst and Science Ltd. All rights reserved, DACS 2011. Photography by Prudence Cuming Associates
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- 7 Quirky American Winter Festivals
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $449 & up -- 5-Night Bermuda Cruise on Royal CaribbeanAmerican Express Travel
- $257 & up -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Adults-Only ResortExcellence Riviera Cancun
- $419 & up -- 4-Night Caribbean Cruise to CozumelRoyal Caribbean
- $1599 & up -- 'World's Best' Caribbean Cruises, over 60% OffWindstar Cruises
- $894* -- Fly to Exotic Cook Islands from West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand