Renzo Piano Wing Opens at Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston
Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum—known for its collection of fine and decorative art—debuted its new wing today, designed by Renzo Piano. Exciting features include a 300-seat performance hall, a gift shop and café, classrooms and studios for hands-on workshops, plus space for special exhibitions.
The Pritzker Prize-winning architect's all-glass building allows light to flood into the lobby, and from it, visitors can look out onto the surrounding gardens. And the wing has the added function of supporting the original building, completed in 1902, and modeled after a 15th-century Venetian palazzo.
The inaugural exhibition features a collection of contemporary art from artists who spent time in the museum's artist-in-residence program, and highlight works by Scottish painter and sculptor Victoria Morton, in her first solo show in America.
The Gardner houses more than 2,500 pieces of art—everything from 16th-century tapestries, to rare, guilded manuscripts, to Italian Rococo armchairs—as well as painting and sculpture from masters including Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Degas, and others.
Photo credit: courtesy Nic Lehoux / Renzo Piano Building Workshop
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Where to Eat in Montreal Now
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $270 -- Waikiki 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Save 30%Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach
- $1065 & up -- 6-Nt. Madrid & Barcelona Trip w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $209-$259 -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, 55% OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $269 -- Maui 4-Star Resort on Ka'anapali Beach, Save 35%The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
- $840* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $2668* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand