Renzo Piano Wing Opens at Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston
Boston's Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum—known for its collection of fine and decorative art—debuted its new wing today, designed by Renzo Piano. Exciting features include a 300-seat performance hall, a gift shop and café, classrooms and studios for hands-on workshops, plus space for special exhibitions.
The Pritzker Prize-winning architect's all-glass building allows light to flood into the lobby, and from it, visitors can look out onto the surrounding gardens. And the wing has the added function of supporting the original building, completed in 1902, and modeled after a 15th-century Venetian palazzo.
The inaugural exhibition features a collection of contemporary art from artists who spent time in the museum's artist-in-residence program, and highlight works by Scottish painter and sculptor Victoria Morton, in her first solo show in America.
The Gardner houses more than 2,500 pieces of art—everything from 16th-century tapestries, to rare, guilded manuscripts, to Italian Rococo armchairs—as well as painting and sculpture from masters including Michelangelo, Rembrandt, Degas, and others.
Photo credit: courtesy Nic Lehoux / Renzo Piano Building Workshop
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $208-- Miami: New Luxury South Beach Hotel, Reg. $449The Redbury, South Beach
- $424 & up -- Carnival 5-Day Bahamas Cruise w/Live ConcertCarnival Cruise Lines
- $849 & up -- Balcony on Bahamas Cruise w/Unlimited DrinksNorwegian Cruise Line
- $599 & up -- Western Caribbean 7-Nt. Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $219 -- Royal Caribbean Cruise Sale; 3rd & 4th Guests FreeCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $9 & up -- Car Rentals across the U.S.CarRentals.com