Weekend Ski Report: There's Snow in Idaho
Unless you can jet off to the Swiss Alps, which is seeing record snowfall this winter, skiing options are limited in North America as the snow drought continues. But the good news is that while conditions at big-name mountains may be less than ideal, fresh powder sits atop deep bases in several less obvious locales—from Idaho to Arizona.
While it's true that the snow pack in Idaho has hit a 20-year low, conditions there are better than in most places. Lookout Pass, in northern Idaho, had 6 inches fall earlier this week on top of its 5-foot base, while at Schweitzer, also in northern Idaho, there's 5 inches resting on a base that's 6-feet deep. And at Arizona's Sunrise Park, a couple of inches fell on about 4 feet of packed powder last night.
North American resorts that saw record-breaking snowfall last season have leaned heavily on snowmaking this year to drive in business. The only upside for customers is that the marketplace is being flooded with deals to draw people to the slopes. And because January is Learn to Ski and Snowboard month, there are freebies and discounts galore to snag at more than 300 resorts in 32 states.
Are you planning a ski trip soon? We want to hear about it! Share your thoughts with the Fodor's community on our forums.Photo credit: Brundage Mountain, Idaho, timmyjimi / flickr
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Where to Eat in Montreal Now
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $119 -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
- $289 & up -- 4-Star Times Square Hotel, 10% OffSheraton New York Times Square
- $595 & up -- 3-Nt. Kauai Escapes w/Air, Save $100Pleasant Holidays
- $1963 & up -- Tuscan Castle & Rome Villa 8-Nt. Escape w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $91 & up -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 30%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $138 -- Downtown Halifax Hotel w/Breakfast & Dinner, 30% OffHomewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown