Weekend Ski Report: There's Snow in Idaho
Unless you can jet off to the Swiss Alps, which is seeing record snowfall this winter, skiing options are limited in North America as the snow drought continues. But the good news is that while conditions at big-name mountains may be less than ideal, fresh powder sits atop deep bases in several less obvious locales—from Idaho to Arizona.
While it's true that the snow pack in Idaho has hit a 20-year low, conditions there are better than in most places. Lookout Pass, in northern Idaho, had 6 inches fall earlier this week on top of its 5-foot base, while at Schweitzer, also in northern Idaho, there's 5 inches resting on a base that's 6-feet deep. And at Arizona's Sunrise Park, a couple of inches fell on about 4 feet of packed powder last night.
North American resorts that saw record-breaking snowfall last season have leaned heavily on snowmaking this year to drive in business. The only upside for customers is that the marketplace is being flooded with deals to draw people to the slopes. And because January is Learn to Ski and Snowboard month, there are freebies and discounts galore to snag at more than 300 resorts in 32 states.
Are you planning a ski trip soon? We want to hear about it! Share your thoughts with the Fodor's community on our forums.Photo credit: Brundage Mountain, Idaho, timmyjimi / flickr
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- Fall 2014 Guide to Washington, D.C.
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo
- $110 & up -- Southwest Florida 4-Diamond Resort, Save 65%The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village
- $53 & up -- Hotels in Mesa, Arizona up to 45% offVisit Mesa
- $185 & up -- New 4-Star Punta Cana 'Westin' Resort, Save 25%Westin Puntacana Resort & Club
- $1248* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $99 & up -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 30%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $59* & up -- Ends 10/26: Fare Sale to/from West Coast, O/WVirgin America