The Days of Hidden Fees to End for Airline Passengers
The last of bait-and-switch airfare pricing may finally be upon us. At least, that's what several new regulations going into effect by the end of January suggest. The biggest news is that all those hidden taxes and fees that increase an advertised $59 one-way fare to Florida up to $112—or $224 round-trip after all is said and done—will now need to be shown upfront, rather than at the end of the booking process. Equally appealing, passengers will also be allowed to change their reservations for free within 24 hours of booking, ending the scourge of rebooking fees.
But a handful of airlines—specifically discount carriers—think that the rule will mean losing customers and revenue. Spirit Airlines and Southwest Airlines have filed for a court appeal, although it's unlikely this will cause a delay in the new mandates taking effect.
In addition, travelers will see additional charges for baggage up front when booking online, and can pay in advance of arriving at the airport.
The U.S. Department of Transportation is putting the reservations and baggage rules into effect on January 24, 2012, and is telling airlines that they must disclose taxes on fares beginning on January 26, 2012.
For travelers, it's clearly a big win, as few things are more frustrating when planning a trip than airline ticket sticker shock.
What do you think about the new rules? We'd love to know! Share your comments below.
Photo credit: GA161076 / iStockphoto
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $7399 -- Luxury Mediterranean Cruise w/Excursions & R/T AirRegent Seven Seas Cruises
- $1045 & up -- Oahu & Kauai 6-Nts. w/Air, Hotels & TransfersTripMasters.com
- $599 & up -- Cancun: 3-Nt. All-Incl. Vacation w/Air, 40% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $1198* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $155-$199 -- 4-Star San Diego Hotel incl. WeekendsThe Westin San Diego
- $1793 & up -- Bangkok, Chiang Mai & Phuket 9-Nt. Trip w/AirTripMasters.com