Top Things to Do for MLK Weekend
Even if you've already made vacation plans for upcoming MLK weekend, there are plenty of events, performances, and more taking place on and around the January 16 holiday that are well worth adding to your schedule. From a free concert at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., to an annual parade and park party in Los Angeles, here are your best bets for activities in cities across the country.
Participate in a Church Service
Martin Luther King Jr. preached at the Ebenezer Baptist Church, where there will be a service held on January 16, 2012, beginning at 10 a.m. in his honor. The service is free and open to the public, but seating is limited. Those who can't get seats can watch it broadcasted live on a large screen in front of the Martin Luther King Historic Site Rose Garden.
Listen to a Special Concert
The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra will hold a special concert starring Yo-Yo-Ma on January 12, 2012. The annual concert will take place at the Atlanta Symphony Hall for the first time (it used to be at Morehouse College, Martin Luther King Jr.'s alma mater), at 8 p.m. Tickets range from $55 to $125, and are available at the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra's web site.
Visit the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial
Your first top in D.C. should be to visit the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, located at 1964 Independence Avenue, SW. And here's a heads up for history buffs: The address has historical significance, as the street number references the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Hear a Free Concert at the Kennedy Center
A special, free concert featuring Bobby McFerrin will be performed at the John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts on January 16, 2012, at 6 p.m. Tickets are available in front of the concert hall at 5 p.m., and are first come, first serve.
See a Flick for Free at the MLK Film Festival
At the Frederick Douglass National Historic Site, run by the U.S. National Park Service, there's a film festival from January 14 to January 16, 2012, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. For more information—including a screening lineup—check their web site, or call 202/426-5961.
Take a Walking Tour of Harlem
Join a NYC Discovery Walking Tour (January 15 to January 17, 2012, at 2 p.m.), and stop at famous landmarks and other sites including the Apollo Theatre, the Lenox Lounge, and Blumstein’s Department Store on 125th Street, where, in 1958, King was stabbed in an assignation attempt. Call 212/465-3331 for reservations, or email email@example.com.
Check Out the Harlem Gospel Choir
Catch Free Events at the Brooklyn Academy of Music
Head to BAM for a day-long event starting at 10:30 a.m., on January 16, 2012. There will be music, performances, and a screening of Neshoba: The Price of Freedom, an award-winning documentary about the murder of three civil rights workers in a Mississippi town.
Enjoy a Birthday Celebration—with Cake!
There are events going on all weekend at the California African American Museum to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, including music, workshops, and cake on January 16, 2012. The event will be hosted by Jeffrey Anderson Gunter and Chandra Wilson, from Grey's Anatomy.
Watch a Parade and Join a Festival
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- Fall 2014 Guide to Washington, D.C.
- $198 & up -- Aruba: 4-Star All-Incl. Sale w/Flight CreditBookIt.com
- $1049 -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Cruise w/Unlimited DrinksCelebrity Cruises
- $499* & up -- Scandinavia & Europe Winter & Spring Sale, R/TScandinavian Airlines
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, Save 50%The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
- $1619 -- Turkey & Greece 12-Nt. Cruise w/Tips & All DrinksCelebrity Cruises
- $239 & up -- Mediterranean Cruises incl. Italy & SpainNorwegian Cruise Line