Top Things to Do for MLK Weekend
Even if you've already made vacation plans for upcoming MLK weekend, there are plenty of events, performances, and more taking place on and around the January 16 holiday that are well worth adding to your schedule. From a free concert at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., to an annual parade and park party in Los Angeles, here are your best bets for activities in cities across the country.
Participate in a Church Service
Martin Luther King Jr. preached at the Ebenezer Baptist Church, where there will be a service held on January 16, 2012, beginning at 10 a.m. in his honor. The service is free and open to the public, but seating is limited. Those who can't get seats can watch it broadcasted live on a large screen in front of the Martin Luther King Historic Site Rose Garden.
Listen to a Special Concert
The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra will hold a special concert starring Yo-Yo-Ma on January 12, 2012. The annual concert will take place at the Atlanta Symphony Hall for the first time (it used to be at Morehouse College, Martin Luther King Jr.'s alma mater), at 8 p.m. Tickets range from $55 to $125, and are available at the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra's web site.
Visit the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial
Your first top in D.C. should be to visit the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, located at 1964 Independence Avenue, SW. And here's a heads up for history buffs: The address has historical significance, as the street number references the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Hear a Free Concert at the Kennedy Center
A special, free concert featuring Bobby McFerrin will be performed at the John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts on January 16, 2012, at 6 p.m. Tickets are available in front of the concert hall at 5 p.m., and are first come, first serve.
See a Flick for Free at the MLK Film Festival
At the Frederick Douglass National Historic Site, run by the U.S. National Park Service, there's a film festival from January 14 to January 16, 2012, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. For more information—including a screening lineup—check their web site, or call 202/426-5961.
Take a Walking Tour of Harlem
Join a NYC Discovery Walking Tour (January 15 to January 17, 2012, at 2 p.m.), and stop at famous landmarks and other sites including the Apollo Theatre, the Lenox Lounge, and Blumstein’s Department Store on 125th Street, where, in 1958, King was stabbed in an assignation attempt. Call 212/465-3331 for reservations, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check Out the Harlem Gospel Choir
Catch Free Events at the Brooklyn Academy of Music
Head to BAM for a day-long event starting at 10:30 a.m., on January 16, 2012. There will be music, performances, and a screening of Neshoba: The Price of Freedom, an award-winning documentary about the murder of three civil rights workers in a Mississippi town.
Enjoy a Birthday Celebration—with Cake!
There are events going on all weekend at the California African American Museum to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, including music, workshops, and cake on January 16, 2012. The event will be hosted by Jeffrey Anderson Gunter and Chandra Wilson, from Grey's Anatomy.
Watch a Parade and Join a Festival
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Exchanging Your Money Abroad: 10 Simple Tips
- 10 Things to Do in Orlando Besides Theme Parks
- 10 Best Caribbean All-Inclusive Resorts for 2015
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- Fodor's Go List 2015
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- 10 Best Safaris in the U.S.
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 10 Luxurious Log Cabins Across the U.S.
- Ultimate Guide to Louisville's Hip Neighborhoods
- $76-$93 -- SoCal: Rancho Mirage Hotel w/Free ParkingGreater Palm Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau
- $1129 & up -- Riviera Maya: 7-Nt. All-Incl. Beach Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $2799 -- Luxe 8-Night Italy, Croatia & Greece Cruise w/AirOceania Cruises
- $4099 -- Australia: Uluru, Darwin & Thala Beach Escape w/AirAspire Down Under
- $2299 -- Ireland Escorted 12-Night Spring VacationGlobus
- $1787 & up-- Paris: Foodie Trip w/Tours, Tastings & AirGreat Value Vacations