St. Thomas Water Shortage Affects Cruisers to the U.S. Virgin Islands (UPDATE)
Thousands of cruisers visiting St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands are being told by their cruise operators to stay clear of the downtown area due to a water shortage that's been going on for more than six weeks.
A countless number of area businesses have been impacted, and are losing revenue during their busiest season of the year. Restaurants have been especially hard-hit, and have begun shutting bathrooms and serving food on paper plates because they can't use dishwashers.
There's been no word from area officials as to when the shortage will end and full water service will be restored.
The island has been rationing water since November 15, when a steam-generating boiler used for water production began leaking. For more information, travelers can check the Virgin Islands Water and Power Authority web site, or call 340/774-3552 [USA Today].
UPDATE: January 13, 2012
The St. Thomas Tourism Board has reported that the water shortage is over, and that normal service has been restored to the island. [USA Today].
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays