St. Thomas Water Shortage Affects Cruisers to the U.S. Virgin Islands (UPDATE)
Thousands of cruisers visiting St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands are being told by their cruise operators to stay clear of the downtown area due to a water shortage that's been going on for more than six weeks.
A countless number of area businesses have been impacted, and are losing revenue during their busiest season of the year. Restaurants have been especially hard-hit, and have begun shutting bathrooms and serving food on paper plates because they can't use dishwashers.
There's been no word from area officials as to when the shortage will end and full water service will be restored.
The island has been rationing water since November 15, when a steam-generating boiler used for water production began leaking. For more information, travelers can check the Virgin Islands Water and Power Authority web site, or call 340/774-3552 [USA Today].
UPDATE: January 13, 2012
The St. Thomas Tourism Board has reported that the water shortage is over, and that normal service has been restored to the island. [USA Today].
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- Hotel Opening: London's Ham Yard Hotel
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $164 & up -- Bahamas Luxe All-Inclusive Resort, Save 55% Riu Palace Paradise
- $1368* & up -- Fly to Australia: 6 Cities on Sale, R/TAir New Zealand
- $449 -- 5-Nt. Bermuda Cruise on Royal Caribbean w/CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1349 & up -- London & Paris 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $134-$151 -- Cabo All-Inclusive Beach Resort, Save 50%Riu Santa Fe
- $1145 & up -- 6-Nt. Berlin & Prague Package w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com