St. Thomas Water Shortage Affects Cruisers to the U.S. Virgin Islands (UPDATE)
Thousands of cruisers visiting St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands are being told by their cruise operators to stay clear of the downtown area due to a water shortage that's been going on for more than six weeks.
A countless number of area businesses have been impacted, and are losing revenue during their busiest season of the year. Restaurants have been especially hard-hit, and have begun shutting bathrooms and serving food on paper plates because they can't use dishwashers.
There's been no word from area officials as to when the shortage will end and full water service will be restored.
The island has been rationing water since November 15, when a steam-generating boiler used for water production began leaking. For more information, travelers can check the Virgin Islands Water and Power Authority web site, or call 340/774-3552 [USA Today].
UPDATE: January 13, 2012
The St. Thomas Tourism Board has reported that the water shortage is over, and that normal service has been restored to the island. [USA Today].
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina, Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- 15 Most Breathtaking World Heritage Sites
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $429 & up -- South Caribbean Cruise w/Upgrade; Kids FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $130* & up -- Nationwide Fare Sale on American, R/TAmerican Airlines
- $65 & up -- Barbados Travel Deals thru Summer, up to 60% OffBarbados Tourism Authority
- $125* -- Omaha to Seattle this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $59* -- Mammoth to Los Angeles this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $2175 & up -- Scotland: Castle & Manor Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations