Fodor's 2011 Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
This week, the Fodor’s 2011 Holiday Gift Guide helps you stuff the stockings of your favorite travelers. Also, check out top gifts for The Jetsetter, the Global Nomad, The Gadgeteer, and Family on the Move.
For the travelers in your life, a small but thoughtful gift can provide the inspiration that leads to a new adventure. Whether your loved ones are culture vultures venturing to unexplored cities, or adrenaline junkies headed out on international expeditions, these gifts are sure to fire up their wanderlust—and add a stylish boost to their journeys in the year to come.
1. Airport Spa Gift Certificate
What It Is: For frequent travelers, give the gift of in-airport relief at XPressSpa, which has more than 35 locations internationally. Gift certificates (from $25) from are like mini vacations between connections. They are good for massages, manicures, and pedicures—surefire stress relievers for enduring flight delays.
The Kicker: Anything is better than waiting at the gate. Help your loved ones avoid that fate.
Where to Buy: XpressSpa.com
2. Afar Magazine Subscription
What It Is: Afar magazine ($20; 1-year subscription) doesn’t just tell its readers about global hot spots, but informs them about the cultures, the sites, and the local flavors of the destinations they cover. If you don’t have a trip planned, a subscription to this travel magazine will provide instant inspiration.
The Kicker: Afar also hosts events around the world through AfarExperiences, where thought-leaders come together to discuss the ever-changing world in which we live.
Where to Buy: Afar.com
3. Water Bobble Filtered Water Bottle
What It Is: Water is the fuel of wanderlust, which is why every traveler needs a refillable water bottle when out and about in distant locales. The Water Bobble ($12.99) purifies with each drink, making the water seem like it was siphoned from a mountain spring, regardless of whether the sipper is actually on the mountain or in the middle of a crowded city.
The Kicker: A refillable water bottle means not having to buy and dispose of multiple plastic bottles, so it’s good for the environment—and one’s pocketbook.
Where to Buy: WaterBobble.com
4. Gifting Miles
What It Is: Give the gift of travel. Purchase airline miles (starting at $29.50 for 1,000 miles) for a friend or family member who won’t take a trip because they’re 2,000 miles short of a free ticket. Or, share your miles and give your niece that trip to Paris she’s been vying for. Simply visit any major airline website and purchase gift miles.
The Kicker: Airline miles can also be donated to charity, to help families in need travel to see one another during the holidays.
5. Flight 001 Universal Adapter
What It Is: Plugging in an electronic device in a foreign land can be a nerve-wracking experience. But with the Flight 001 Universal Adapter ($25), simply select UK, USA/Australia, or Europe and the adapter provides the appropriate plug. No more traveling with multiple adapters. Now, one is all you need.
The Kicker: It’s compact, which means it can fit in a shoulder bag or suitcase, and will be handy whenever a strange-looking outlet presents itself.
Where to Buy: Flight001.com
6. Stella McCartney Perfume Roll-on
What It Is: Whether your loved one is heading from the airport to a soiree or just going out for a night on the town, the Stella McCartney Perfume Roll-on ($20) is the essential touch-up accessory. Made with Stella’s trademark style and elegance in mind, this sassy, floral fragrance means always having the scent that makes the scene.
The Kicker: It can be hidden away in a purse or a clutch and pulled out at a moment’s notice.
Where to Buy: Sephora.com
What It Is: For those weekend getaways when time is of the essence and there’s so much to see, a CityPASS (from $39) provides access to the most popular attractions—like a guided tour through Hollywood and admission to New York’s Museum of Modern Art—without having to wait in winding lines. Users simply flash the CityPASS at participating sites and get on their way to discovery.
The Kicker: CityPASS is available for 11 North American destinations, from San Francisco to Toronto.
Where to Buy: CityPASS.com
Written by Sam Barrett
Photo Credits: courtesy 1. XpresSpa.com; 2. AFAR Media LLC; 3. Move Collective, LLC; 4. Shutterstock; 5. Flight 001; 6. Sephora; 7. Brie Williams
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- 8 Cooling Beauty Products for Beating the Heat
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1726 & up -- Hong Kong, Bangkok & Phuket 9 Nts. w/AirTripMasters.com
- $749 & up -- 5-Night Aruba Vacation w/Upgrade & Air, 45% OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $2009 -- Sydney & Brisbane 6-Night Vacation w/Air, $325 OffDelta Vacations
- $73 & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Sale into October, O/WVirgin America
- $2106 & up -- Athens & Classical Greece Trip w/Air & ToursGreat Value Vacations
- $138 -- Downtown Halifax Hotel w/Breakfast & Dinner, 30% OffHomewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown