Best Travel-Sized Skin Care
By S.S. Fair
High-end skin care companies rarely put out economy-size products, but many do downsize their posh potions into travel sets or "starter kits." Not only do A-list creams and toners travel well, but they create an opportunity to sample luxury lines at a lower cost—plus they make thoughtful gifts for any ladies on your list who could use a touch of luxury. This is one case where good things really do come in small packages.
Doctor-Driven Derma Care
Plenty of doctors have thrown their chips into the skin care game. Dr. Neil Sadick is a prominent New York cosmetic surgeon and author of The New Natural (Rodale), which takes you inside the new world of cutting-edge skin care procedures. Sadick Dermatology's's three-piece set ($70) of travel friendly tubes include AM Protection cream, PM Serum, and PM Reversal Cream. These luxe products are uncomplicated and unfussy in the best way.
For a complete kit, turn to the eight-piece travel set ($50) from Dr. Alkaitis, an impeccably organic skin care line with biologically active ingredients to keep all skin types rosy and glowing. The set features three highly concentrated creams, as well as a toner, soothing gel, treatment oil, toner, and a mask for a quick picker-upper.
Ama.la, used at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel’s Spa, in New York City, is a high-potency skin care line with different regimens for all skin types. Their Rejuvenate Spa Valise ($156) is a stunning set presented in an organic hemp and woven straw satchel. It contains travel-friendly bottles of cocoa-bean enriched cleansing milk, toner, and face cream for your parched skin to drink up.
Spa habitué June Jacobs features a comprehensive Face Travel Kit ($100) with eight paraben- and preservative-free products that go from cleanser to exfoliator, mineral-mist toner, cell repair serum, moisturizer with SPF 15, and finally to an eye gel and lip renewal tube, all nestled in a zipped quilted bag.
To give the gift of a facial anywhere in the world, the New Jersey-based Walker's Apothecary offers a Facial to Go Travel Set ($65) set filled with 1 oz. masks in fun flavors like chamomile and green coffee will boost one’s beauty quotient in any time zone.
You may never travel to Hungary, but that doesn’t mean you have to pass up the country’s premier skin care line, which has beauty editors swooning. The Omorovicza travel set ($150), includes hydrating mist, moisturizer, and night cream—plus the cult black mud cleanser that put them on the map.
For a taste of Japanese luxury, Shiseido offers a starter set of their White Lucent Brightening line ($49.50), featuring cleansing foam, softener, and day moisturizer with SPF. You may want to gift this to some deserving soul. Then again, you deserve a little something too, no?
Photo credit: istockphoto / danielsbfoto
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- Top 10 State Fairs in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- Car Lover's Guide to Germany
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $349 & up -- 7-Nt. Caribbean & Mexico Cruises on NorwegianNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1812 & up -- 8-Nts. Rio, Iguassu Falls & Buenos Aires w/AirTripMasters.com
- $2550 & up -- Moorea Luxury 5-Nt. Escape incl. AirTahiti.com
- $799 & up -- Waikiki Moana Surfrider Escape w/Air & CarPleasant Holidays
- $1958 & up -- Sydney & Cairns 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com
- $1299 & up -- Tuscany & Rome Weeklong Villa Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations