Oahu's Ala Moana Eating Guide
Bento Box Lunch at ShirokiyaWhy Go: The entire second floor of Shirokya, a Japanese department store with a fantastic food court, is devoted to Japanese food—and lots of it. There are more than a hundred different dishes, ranging from fresh seafood to hot bowls of ramen to colorful bento boxes. It’s all equally enticing, and many of these traditional dishes have a distinct local Hawaiian influence. Mix and match your lunch, then pay at the register before picking a seat at one of the food court tables. Don't Miss: Made-to-order takoyaki (fried octopus dumpling), chicken katsu, and featured ramen dishes.
Fresh Seafood at Longhi's RestaurantWhy Go: This upscale local restaurant is breezy with open windows and a convivial atmosphere. Longhi's is ideal for a luxurious solo lunch at the bar, happy hour with friends, or large group dinners. The menu offers everything from pasta dishes to simply-prepared seafood and vegetables. It's also a local hot spot for weekend brunch. Don't Miss: Local ahi carpaccio, fresh seafood dishes, and hot macadamia-nut pie for dessert.
Exotic Treats at Patisserie La Palme D'OrWhy Go: A luxurious Japanese patisserie, La Palme D'or is located in an unusually tiny space, but it’s filled with some of the best sweets in town—all baked daily. Come in the morning for fresh pastries, or in the afternoon for exquisite desserts. There’s a single table for two, but you can also devour your sweets at one of the benches outside. Don't Miss: Matcha-tea sponge roll cake, tropical cheesecake with passion fruit and mango mousse, or the "jelly-au-lait"—similar to bubble tea—made with coffee or Earl Grey and fresh milk, topped with whipped cream. Trust us, you'll like it.
Honolulu Coffee Co's Local BrewsWhy Go: Relax in a peaceful setting at Honolulu Coffee Co., a local coffee shop with a laid-back vibe, after a long afternoon of shopping. Keep it simple with espresso or coffee—all from Kona coffee beans—or go for a sweet Kona frappe, a superior version of a frappuccino. It's a great spot for lingering with a book or meeting friends. Don't Miss: Pair any drink with a slice of fresh banana bread, or a housemade almond croissant.
The Pineapple Room by Alan WongWhy Go: At this casual sister eatery to Alan Wong's—one of Honolulu’s top restaurants—you’ll find both gourmands and ladies-who-lunch. Come to The Pineapple Room by Alan Wong for lunch, dinner, or weekend breakfasts, and feast on Hawaiian regional cuisine done properly. You'll find it tucked inside Macy's department store. Don't Miss: The "Loco Moco" (a burger patty on fried rice topped with two eggs) for an entree and nutty chocolate-crunch bars for dessert.
Heading to Hawaii soon?Check out our online Oahu Travel Guide for up-to-the-minute restaurant and hotel recommendations, the best entertainment and nightlife, and more. Photo credit: Patisserie La Palme D'or, courtesy Kathy YL Chan
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $169 -- Downtown Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 25%Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- $129-$159 -- Tucson AAA 4-Diamond Resort, Save 45%The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa
- $208-- Miami: New Luxury South Beach Hotel, Reg. $449The Redbury, South Beach
- $199 & up -- Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star Hotel, $50 OffThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites
- $129 & up -- New Orleans Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago
- $98 & up -- Seattle Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago