American Airlines Says Bankruptcy Won't Affect Customers
In a statement this afternoon, American Airlines announced that it would continue normal operations following the bankruptcy of its parent company, AMR Corporation, which also owns American Eagle.
According to the company's web site, flight schedules, reservations, and the AAdvantage frequent flyer program will remain status quo throughout its Chapter 11 reorganization, which is aimed at reducing debt and labor costs. In addition, the airline's AAdvantage customers received emails today assuring them that accrued miles are secure.
The AMR Corporation is the last major U.S. airline carrier since 9/11 to file for bankruptcy protection in an effort to improve long-term profitability. The company said it has $4.1 billion in cash and short-term investments to use during the transition, as well as anticipated funds from general operations.
Photo credit: Drewski2112 / flickr
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays