Tips for Staying Healthy In-Flight
Lather, Rinse, RepeatOk, this may seem obvious, but it bears a reminder: Wash your hands regularly. To do it effectively, experts recommend scrubbing your hands with soap, under warm running water, for at least 20 seconds. But in a pinch, a hand sanitizer will do. Plus, it’s nice to have a quick-clean option after touching surfaces like sticky arm rests and tray tables. To avoid dry hands, we recommend Belli Moisturizing Hand Sanitizer with jojoba oil, or Burt’s Bee’s Aloe and Witch Hazel Hand Sanitizer Spray, both in travel-size bottles.
Keep MovingLong-haul flights can do a number on the body, causing cramps, muscle pain, and neck strain. Taking periodic walks up and down the aisle is one remedy but there are other alternatives, like yoga poses. A Sun Salutation in the aisle may not be appreciated, so try these less space-consuming moves. Cat and Cow Variation: Sit at the front of your seat, with your back straight. Round your back and shoulders and breathe deeply, holding the pose for a few seconds. Then move in the opposite direction, slowly arching your back. Repeat several times. Seated Twist: Place one hand on the opposite knee and twist your torso towards that hand. Hold for 30 seconds, then switch. Hip Stretch: Cross one leg over the other and lean forward, folding over your legs. Hold, then switch legs and repeat.
Stay HydratedWhile flying, it’s best to avoid drinks that will dehydrate you. The list includes all of our favorite vices, from alcoholic beverages to caffeinated sodas and coffee. Try drinking water or juice instead, and don’t rely on the airline to provide enough during your flight. It’s always a good idea to bring a water bottle with you, filling it up at a water fountain before you board the plane. We like this alternative better than buying bottled water at the airport, not only for environmental reasons, but because you’ll want to stay hydrated on your trip too, whether you’re spending time on the beach or gallivanting around a big city.
Get RestImprove your mood and boost your immune system by staying as well-rested as possible before, during, and after your trip. To help aid sleep in-flight, pack your own travel pillow and blanket, like the plush Lug Travel Blanket and Pillow Set. A great set of noise-cancelling headphones, and an eye-pillow are also recommended. And if all else fails, a glass of warm milk is always an option.
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
Yes, I always feel dizzy after a long journey. And it’s very common that proper rest is not possible always during the long journey. And that is the common problem with me…. I travel a lot and rest between two connecting flights is not possible generally. Is there some relaxation technique for such situation?
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $161 -- Colorado 4-Star Vail Riverfront Resort, 65% OffThe Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $549 -- 7-Night Mexican Riviera Cruise w/$100 Onboard CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, 40% OffThe Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
- $1225 & Up -- Waikiki: 4-Star Hilton Oceanview Stay w/AirApple Vacations
- $1299 -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Fly & Drive Package w/Castle StayAer Lingus Vacation Store
- $189-$199 -- Weekends at Downtown Los Angeles 4-Star HotelThe Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites