Maximize Travel Reward Points on Cyber Monday and Beyond
By Brian Kelly The biggest online shopping day of the year, Cyber Monday, is right around the corner on November 28. While buying holiday gifts online, you can also treat yourself to huge frequent flyer and loyalty point gains. Many rewards portals make it simple—just click through to your favorite retailer's site and make purchases using the credit or debit card that's associated with your rewards account. We've listed the best deals—and the best days to make purchases—below. TIP: Strategize before you spend on travel this Cyber Monday by visiting Fodors.com on Friday, November 26. That's when we'll post a round-up of our top Cyber Monday travel deals. Mark your calendar!
Chase's Ultimate RewardsEarn up to 20 points per dollar spent at Chase Ultimate Rewards using their Freedom and Sapphire cards. On specific dates in November and December, shop retailers including Best Buy (10x points on November 25), Macy's (10x points November 26), Apple (10x points on November 29), and more. Points can be transferred to airline partners such as United, British Airways, and Hyatt. Good to Know: Use Chase's Sapphire Preferred card and get an additional 7% on all points earned.
American Express Membership RewardsBuy from select retailers through American Express Membership Awards before December 31 and earn 5 times the points on purchases. Major retailers on the site include Home Depot, Apple, and Brookstone. Movie and TV fans can also earn up to 1,500 points qualifying for Netflix's free trial sign-up. Plus, direct discounts and other bonuses are available from several merchants including 1-800-Flowers (20% off), Blue Nile (10% off eligible jewelry, plus free shipping), and The North Face (8% off). Good to Know: American Express will donate a portion of eligible purchases made with an Amex card to the United Way.
AAdvantage Shopping MallAt AAdvantage Shopping Mall, get bonus miles by registering for the holiday offer. If you spend $500 at select online retailers, you'll receive 500 extra miles, or $1,000 for 1,000 extra miles. That's on top of double miles—or more—at retailers that include Teleflora (10 miles per dollar), and Philosophy (4 miles per dollar). Miles can be used on partner airlines such as British Airways, Cathay Pacific, and Qantas. Good to know: Get free shipping and discounts at some merchants, such as 15% off at 1-800-Baskets (use code BSKT15).
US Airways Dividend Miles StorefrontShop at US Airways Dividend Miles Storefront to find featured holiday deals, such as 20% off at gourmet fruit–basket retailer Harry & David. There's also free shipping from several select retailers including Lowes, Barnes & Noble, and Macy's. Points can be used with partner airlines such as United, Air Canada, and Lufthansa. Good to Know: Watch for even better deals with the site's "Deal of the Week."
Delta Skymiles ShoppingAt Delta Skymiles Shopping, get bonus miles at select retailers like Macy's (4 miles per dollar up from 2), Lancome (8 miles per dollar up from 2), and Brookstone (6 miles per dollar up from 2). A variety of merchants are also offering free shipping. Miles can be used on airline partners including Air France, Alitalia and V Australia. Good to Know: Get a free $10 Barnes & Noble eGift card with gift cards purchases worth at least $100. Fodors.com contributor Brian Kelly is The Points Guy. A former road warrior, he spent years working in recruitment for a major investment bank, traveling over 125,000 miles annually, and spending well over fifty nights a year in hotels. For Brian, getting there is often more than half the fun. His passion for travel and knowledge of the frequent flyer miles and points system has allowed him to fund a luxury travel lifestyle while spending less cash than he would to fly coach and stay in hostels.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- Top 10 State Fairs in the U.S.
- How to Renew Your Passport
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- 10 of Hemingway's Favorite Haunts
- How to Use Twitter to Rebook a Canceled Flight
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Wine Lover's Guide to South Africa
- Car Lover's Guide to Germany
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $98* & up -- Canada: Summer Fare Sale from Across US, O/WAir Canada
- $1473* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/TAir New Zealand
- $98* & up -- Toronto: Summer Fares from Across the US, O/WToronto Escapes
- $1299 & up -- Tuscany & Rome Weeklong Villa Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $5825 & up -- Bora Bora 5-Star Vacation w/Air, Kids Fly FreeTahiti.com
- $212 & up -- Boston 4-Star Hotel near Newbury St., 45% OffSheraton Boston
* Some taxes, fees additional