Paris's Best New Wine Bars
International Allure at Au PassageOpened last summer by a team who’d previously worked at Daniel Rose’s popular Spring restaurant, including chef Australian born chef James Henry, this lively spot in a narrow lane serves a short but delicious small-plates menu that runs to dishes like sliced steak with kimchi-style pickles, and grilled tuna with mussels and potatoes. 1bis passage de Saint-Sebastien, 11th arrondissement, 01-43-55-07-52.
Adventurous Eats at Le DauphinDesigned by architects Rem Koolhaas and Clément Blanchet, this cool white marble space is the sister address to chef Inaki Aizpitarte’s Le Chateaubriand restaurant next door. The brief menu changes regularly and showcases Aizpitarte’s imaginative cooking—a composition of snails and cabbage in a jus of Spanish ham, or a luscious buttermilk-and-olive-oil ice cream for dessert, for example. 131 avenue Parmentier, 11th arrondissement, 01-55-28-78-88.
Contemporary Flair at Frenchie Wine BarChef Gregory Marchand’s bistro Frenchie is one of the hardest reservations to land in Paris, which is why the lively bar he opened in June has become so popular. Since it takes walk-ins only, it’s a great way to sample his superb modern French cooking, maybe pistachio-studded terrine de campagne and smoked trout with shaved cucumber, pickled onions, and fresh herbs. But go early or be prepared for a long wait. 6 rue du Nil, 2nd arrondissement, no phone, no reservations.
Convivial Vibe at Le Verre VoléOne of the best bistrots a vins in Paris recently enlarged its cozy dining room, but it’s so good that it’s still tough to snag a table. So book well ahead of time to sample dishes like lamb-and-fig terrine and roasted duck breast with turnips. 67 rue de Lancry, 10th arrondissement , Tel. 01-48-03-17-34.
Natural Flavors at VivantOwner Pierre Jancou (pictured) painstakingly restored the Art Nouveau tiles of a shop that once sold exotic birds to create Paris’s most beautiful new bistrot a vins. Dishes typical of the chalkboard menu here include foie gras with artichoke salad, and grilled hen with baby organic vegetables. 43 rue des Petites Ecuries, 10th arrondissement. 01-42-46-43-55.
Headed to Paris?Check out our up-to-the-minute guide packed with reviews and recommendations, including the city's best hotels, restaurants, and things to do. American-born Alexander Lobrano has lived in Paris for 25 year, where he's written about food and travel for publications including Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, Travel & Leisure, Departures, and Conde Nast Traveler. He's a regular contributor to the New York Times’ T Style, and the author of Hungry for Paris: The Ultimate Guide to the City’s 102 Best Restaurants (Random House), which is also the name of his blog. Photo credit: Courtesy of Bob Peterson
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $267 -- New 4-Star Punta Cana 'Westin' Resort, 30% OffWestin Puntacana Resort & Club
- $549 & up -- 7-Day Cruise to Adriatic Sea & Italy w/ExtrasNorwegian Cruise Line
- $185 & up -- LA: West Hollywood Hotel Deals up to 40% OffVisit West Hollywood
- $2089 & up -- Panama Canal 13-Day Cruise incl. Costa RicaCarnival Cruise Lines
- $185-$265 -- San Francisco 4-Star Hotel, 50% OffWestin St. Francis
- $899 & up -- Ends 4/18: Hawaii 7-Nt. Cruise w/Onboard CreditNorwegian Cruise Line