NYC's Best Afternoon Tea
For Couples: The Pierre HotelThe Two e Bar/Lounge in The Pierre Hotel turns into a luxurious bar in the evening, but during the afternoon it’s a chic lounge for tea served on low tables and plush seats. A set menu offers seven different savory bites, such as spiced chicken on brioche and caviar sandwiches. Don’t miss the miniature fruit tarts and coffee éclairs. Price: $55 Tip: The best tea here isn’t on the menu. Ask for the "Warm Sunrise," a secret house creation of chamomile tea, fresh oranges, lemon, honey and cinnamon sticks.
For a Casual Scene: PodunkOrder and pick up your tea tray at the counter of Podunk (231 E. 5th Street, 212/677-7722), an East Village classic. There's no table service, but the space is most welcoming. Podunk is like your aunt’s living room—cozy and colorful, with mismatched teapots and plates. There are more than a dozen tea sets, some that favors sweets while others lean toward savory. Price: $17.50-$32.50 Tip: You can’t go wrong with the "Our Old Friends Tea," a balanced set which includes the café's famous cheddar biscuits. They're ridiculously buttery and crisp.
For Kids: Russian Tea RoomThe elaborate Russian Tea Room in midtown is one of the few places in this city that offer an afternoon tea specifically catered to children. Whereas adults are served caviar on blini among a generous assortment of traditional treats, children receive peanut butter and jelly on blini, miniature grilled cheeses, and pigs-in-a-blanket. Price: $50 for adults, $35 for children under 12 Tip: Try the homemade Cherry Varenya—whole wild cherries in syrup—meant to replace sugar in your tea.
For a Great Value: Bosie Tea ParlorThe tea sandwiches are picture-perfect and the macarons are homemade at Boise Tea Parlor. There's also tea-inspired sweets, such as Earl Grey crepe cakes and Darjeeling tarts. Situated on a cozy West Village street, French music plays quietly in the background and golden tea tins line the wall. Price: $25 Tip: Order the almond cookie rooibos tea from l'Âge de Thé—Bosie’s very own tea brand.
For Tea With a Twist: Cha-AnLocated in the East Village, Cha-An puts a distinctively Japanese twist on the classic afternoon tea. Settle in with a warm pot of hojicha or genmaicha in this second floor tea house, where scones are baked to order and the savories and sweets such as mochi and matcha shortbread are served in courses on Japanese ceramics. Price: $18 Tip: Make sure to request the Earl Grey scones, which arrive hot at your table. Heading to New York City soon? Get the best planning information for you trip with our New York City Travel Guide. Photo credit: courtesy Kathy YL Chan
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
For those of you who don't live in NYC, I can assure you that Kathy is as reliable a tea expert as you'll find in these parts. Her recommendations are spot on.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2679 & up -- Italy: Tuscany Villa Vacation w/Air & CarSceptre Tours
- $419 & up -- Bahamas 7-Nt. Cruise w/UpgradeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1699 -- China: 3-City, 8-Night Vacation w/Air, Save $300Friendly Planet Travel
- $399 -- 7 Night Cruise to St. Maarten from MiamiMSC Cruises
- $599 & up -- Cabo 4-Nt. All-Inclusive Escape w/Air, Half OffCheapCaribbean.com
- $2399 -- Luxe 10-Nt. Caribbean Cruise incl. Air, Save $2000Oceania Cruises