DC's Popular Tour Buses End Service
The familiar blue sightseeing buses that have run on streets in the nation's capital for more than four decades will end service tomorrow.
The open-air buses, operated by Tourmobile and run by the National Park Service, stop at many of the city's major attractions including the Mall and Arlington National Cemetery, giving visitors an on-off narrated tour for $32 per person.
Service is being suspended due to Tourmobile's financial issues, according to park service officials. The park service has had an exclusive contract with Tourmobile since 1969, and hopes to find a new company within two weeks.[USA Today]
Heading to Washington DC soon? Get the best planning tips and more for your trip with our Washington DC Travel Guide.
Photo credit: courtesy Brian Auer / flickr
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com