Algonquin Hotel Closing for Renovation
The New York hotel best known for its history as the haunt of famous writers in the 1920s will close for three months beginning on the first of the year.
The entire hotel will undergo construction as part of a major renovation, including an update of its guest bathrooms, from Jan. 1 to April 30 2012. The landmark, located in midtown Manhattan, had a $4.5 million face lift about four years ago that updated the lobby and 174 guestrooms, but even with the improvements the Algonquin was still in need of a major overhaul.
The Algonquin was where Dorothy Park, Gertrude Stein, John Barrymore and others—who dubbed themselves "The Vicious Circle"—were members of what became known as the Algonquin Round Table, a gathering of the most well-known writers in New York City in the 1920s.[USA Today]
Planning on a trip to New York City? Check out our New York City Travel Guide.
Photo credit: The Algonquin Hotel
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $849 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays