America's Best Fall Food Festivals
Boston Vegetarian Food Festival, Oct. 29-30Sample Menu: With 120 vendors, plus lectures and cooking demos, the Boston Vegetarian Food Festival offers everything you need to know about the diet and health benefits of vegetarian cooking. Chef Recommends: Eat Vegan on $4 a Day author Ellen Jaffe will share her budget meal tips.
Urbanna Oyster Festival, Urbanna, Va., Nov. 4-5Sample Menu: Savor the oyster in its many delicious forms: raw, roasted, fried, smoked, steamed, in fritters, and in stews at the Urbanna Oyster Festival. Belly full, browse crafters' booths and watch for the tears at the crowning of the festival's queen. Chef Recommends: The oyster shucking contest tests speed and finesse with the handling of the shell and meat.
Wurstfest, New Braunfels, Texas, Nov. 4-13Sample Menu: Pull out your lederhosen for the 50th anniversary of this "Oktoberfest: Texas Style" celebration of the sausage called—very appropriately—Wurstfest. Along with the bratwurst and sauerkraut, there will be waltz and polka contests, plus a "kinderhalle" with a magic show and plenty of live music. Chef Recommends: Don't miss "Gone with the Wurst," an interactive spoof of Gone with the Wind.
Northwest Food and Wine Festival, Portland, Ore., Nov. 5Sample Menu: You won't get thirsty at the Northwest Food and Wine Festival, which offers tastings of some 600 wines, paired with small dishes from 50 restaurants. Browse among the latest in gourmet food items, wine accessories, and cooking tools. Chef Recommends: You can easily tote home your favorite bottles by taking advantage of deals on bottles and cases—as well as free shipping.
Giant Omelette Celebration, Abbeville, La., Nov. 5-6Sample Menu: You'll flip over the Giant Omelette Celebration's centerpiece—a 5,000-egg omelette prepared in a 12-foot skillet. The event is inspired by a French legend about Napoleon ordering a village to assemble all the eggs to cook an omelette for his army. Chef Recommends: Bring your dancing shoes for a spicy sampling of Cajun music, including the Grammy-winning BeauSoleil.
Getting ThereWant to check out one of these festivals? Get the best planning information and more with our destination guides:
- Boston Travel Guide
- Virginia Travel Guide
- Texas Travel Guide
- Portland Travel Guide
- Louisiana Travel Guide
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
its nice and you are doing great work .i think this is good for those city and i realy wish to trvel this
A couple of our favorites in the Pacific Northwest are coming up: the Northwest Chocolate Festival in Seattle is this coming weekend, and the Holiday Ale Festival in Portland (mostly a beer focus, but good food too)is coming up in December. Both worth a visit if you're in the area.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- Where to Eat in San Francisco Now
- 5 Perfect Dublin Itineraries
- Where to Eat in Orlando Now
- 7 Great Food Festivals & Street Fairs on Oahu
- Top 6 Alaskan Cruises for 2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $235 & up -- S.C. 4-Star Hilton Head Island Resort, 45% OffThe Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- $1008 & up -- 8-Nt. Costa Rica Volcano, Forest & Beach w/AirTripMasters.com
- $169 & up -- D.C. 4-Star Hotel near White House, Save $100JW Marriott Washington, DC
- $1528 & up -- Escorted 7-Nt. Sicily Splendors Land-Only TourApple Vacations
- $129 & up -- Chicago: 4-Star Michigan Avenue Hotel, $100 OffThe Westin Michigan Avenue
- $799 & up -- 4-Star Los Cabos All-Incl. Trip w/Air, 40% OffCheapCaribbean.com