Weekend Escape: Antiquing in Hudson, NY
By Kathryn Matthews
This small riverfront city, once a bustling 18th-century whaling port, is now an antiquing mecca, with nearly 50 shops lining mile-long Warren Street. Though bucolic country is just minutes away, Hudson is distinctly urban, with stylish restaurants, eclectic boutiques, and several galleries.
Come Friday night or early Saturday morning, and after settling in at your B&B plan for a day of shopping and lunch. Stop by the Saturday farmers' market on Columbia Street for treats to take along on the trip home Sunday afternoon.
Where to Stay
Slip under 500-thread count sheets at Front Street Guest House, an intimate 10-room boutique hotel with river and Catskill views—one of the best lodging deals (rooms from $139) in town.
Just a few miles outside of Hudson, Mount Merino Manor, a lovely Victorian in a woodland setting, offers a pampered in-the-country experience (rooms from $195), in close proximity to Olana State Historic Site, the Persian-style home of 19th century landscape artist Frederic Church.
What to Do
Kick back with books and brew—choose from eight artisanal ales on tap—at Spotty Dog Books & Ale, a converted 19th century firehouse that doubles as an independent bookstore and café-lounge. Or, head a few blocks south to Iberian-themed (p.m.) Wine Bar, a cozy boite featuring an all-Spanish wine list and tapas.
Start your Warren Street gallery crawl east of the riverside promenade. Check out provocative exhibits at Limner Gallery, the work of local artists at Carrie Haddad Gallery, and auction house pieces at Stair Galleries.
Where to Eat
Before lunch, whet your appetite with a walk though the Hudson Farmers' Market, which runs until mid-November, and has all the usual treats such as fresh-baked bread, prepared foods, and local cheeses.
Tuck into burgers and sweet potato fries, or linger over creative Scandinavian-inspired fare, like elk carpaccio or filet mignon with blueberry vodka sauce, in the warm, earth-toned dining room at DA | BA.
At Swoon Kitchenbar, husband and wife owners Jeff Gimmell and Nina Bachinsky-Gimmell cook up entrees such as bluefish pate and tempura chicken meatballs and specialty desserts like Sardinian dumplings and bittersweet chocolate cake.
Fill up on wholesome comfort food, with choices ranging from panko-topped mac and cheese to a fennel salami sandwich at Mod Restaurant near the waterfront.
How to Get There
By Car: It's just over a 2-1/2 hour drive (about 70 mi) north from New York City once you're on the New York State Throughway (I-87). Get off at exit 21 and pick up NY/23 toward Catskill, which takes you straight into town. From Boston, it's a straight shot west on I-90, about a 3-hour drive.
By Train: From New York Penn Station it's roughly a 2-hour ride on Amtrak, and costs $34 each way. Trains leave from Boston's South Station and connect through New York, a trip that takes about 5 hours, before continuing on to Hudson; one-way tickets start at $83.
Heading to Hudson soon? Get the best planning information and more for your trip with our New York Travel Guide.
Photo credit: courtesy las-initially / flickr
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- 10 Best National Parks to Visit This Winter
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guides
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Under $100
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- World's 10 Best Ski Towns for Foodies
- Top 15 Warm-Weather Resorts for Families
- Incredible Private Pools at 7 Worldwide Hotels
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Kids
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays