Best Comfort Food Spots in Top Cities
With fall in full swing and the weather starting to chill, it's time to get your palette primed for hearty winter fare. Here are our top picks for the weeks ahead to give your stomach the workout it needs before the big Thanksgiving feast. Montreal Of all the restaurants that serve comfort food in Montreal—there are many in a city that hits temps as cold it does—Joe Beef has long held a top spot on lists for locals and tourists alike. This small, casual and cozy downtown bistro is always packed, so don't trek out in the snow without a reservation. Top Picks: Favorites include the lobster spaghetti and the steak au poivre.
ChicagoBig communal tables with high-back chairs and décor done up in gold ochre and muted brown sets the scene at The Publican, a causal eatery with tons of oysters on the menu and plenty of small plates to share. Top Picks: Order a few rounds of beer from the extensive list and munch on spicy pork rinds from Iowa before getting into the sweetbreads or suckling pig.
AustinHow can you go wrong with a place that describes itself as serving "gourmet backyard cuisine?" Although eating at Jaspers is decidedly more upscale than wooden benches and checkered table clothes, the vibe is as Austin easy-going as it gets. Top Picks: Go for the peach barbecued pork tenderloin with a side of charred corn and pepperjack grits.
New YorkWhile the city has more than its share of comfort food eateries, The Dutch has entered front and center quickly becoming one of New York's most talked about restaurants. Dinner—or "supper," as it's called on the menu—is fantastic, but its brunch is already legendary. Top Picks: Start with a little oyster sandwich or two—a must—and move on to the lamb shank tagine with citrus couscous or the pecan duck with dirty rice. Heading to one of these destinations soon? Plan your trip with one of our travel guides:
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014: The Best Travel Deals
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 15 Under-the-Radar Vacation Destinations
- 10 Places to Go This Winter
- How to Use the Internet to Find the Best Airplane Seats
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $1084* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $579 & up -- Punta Cana: 4-Star, All-Inclusive Escape w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $89 & up -- New Orleans Hotel Sale into Fall, Save 50%New Orleans Convention and Visitors Bureau
- $138 -- Bahamas: 4-Star All-Incl. Beach Resort, Half OffBookIt.com
- $134-$143 -- Colombia: 4-Star Bogota Hotel, Save 40%Sheraton Bogota Hotel
- $895 -- Norway: Northern Lights Winter Expedition, $800 OffHurtigruten
* Some taxes, fees additional