Paris Ritz Closing for 2+ Year Renovation
Paris' Ritz Hotel will shut its doors to guests for more than two years while it undergoes an unprecedented renovation, to begin next summer.
The five-star hotel—with a history of famous guests from Coco Chanel to George Clooney—has long been considered the city's poshest place to stay. It was founded in 1898 by Cesar Ritz and chef Auguste Escoffier, and had its most recent major overhaul in 1979. Work is scheduled to begin in summer 2012 and last for 27 months.
Owned by billionaire Egyptian tycoon Mohamed Al Fayed, plans were apparently put in motion shortly after the hotel was passed over for "palace" status, a coveted title given to all of France's top luxury lodgings. The cost of the makeover hasn't been disclosed.
All 160 rooms and suites, plus the hotel's facilities, will be modernized yet retain their classic feel and traditional style. Of the 500 employee staff, only 30 will be kept on during construction.
The hotel's restaurant, two-star Michelin rated L'Espadon, as well as the esteemed Ritz-Escoffier cooking school, will close as well, although there's been no word as to whether the ever-popular Hemingway Bar will remain open.[Agence France-Presse]
Heading to Paris on vacation soon? Check out our Paris Travel Guide for the best hotel reviews, planning information, and more.
Photo credit: courtesy caribb / flickr
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- Where to Eat in San Antonio, Texas
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
- 8 Reasons to Visit Philadelphia for the Holidays
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1198-$1278* -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1645 -- UAE: Dubai & Abu Dhabi 6-Night Vacation, $550 OffGoway Travel with Definitely Dubai & Abu Dhabi Tourism
- $229 & up -- Caribbean 7-Night Cruise; Kids Sail FreeNorwegian Cruise Line
- $1739 -- Spring Sale: 7-Night Holland & Belgium River CruiseAvalon Waterways