Paris Ritz Closing for 2+ Year Renovation
Paris' Ritz Hotel will shut its doors to guests for more than two years while it undergoes an unprecedented renovation, to begin next summer.
The five-star hotel—with a history of famous guests from Coco Chanel to George Clooney—has long been considered the city's poshest place to stay. It was founded in 1898 by Cesar Ritz and chef Auguste Escoffier, and had its most recent major overhaul in 1979. Work is scheduled to begin in summer 2012 and last for 27 months.
Owned by billionaire Egyptian tycoon Mohamed Al Fayed, plans were apparently put in motion shortly after the hotel was passed over for "palace" status, a coveted title given to all of France's top luxury lodgings. The cost of the makeover hasn't been disclosed.
All 160 rooms and suites, plus the hotel's facilities, will be modernized yet retain their classic feel and traditional style. Of the 500 employee staff, only 30 will be kept on during construction.
The hotel's restaurant, two-star Michelin rated L'Espadon, as well as the esteemed Ritz-Escoffier cooking school, will close as well, although there's been no word as to whether the ever-popular Hemingway Bar will remain open.[Agence France-Presse]
Heading to Paris on vacation soon? Check out our Paris Travel Guide for the best hotel reviews, planning information, and more.
Photo credit: courtesy caribb / flickr
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 5 Last-Minute Memorial Day Deals
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com