Philly Wants High Line Like NYC
Residents in Philadelphia are raising money in hopes that the success of New York's High Line fuels plans to build a similar structure in their city.
The project has piqued the interest of city officials who've seen the Big Apple's west side promenade—plus giving Philly its own could save $14 million in bringing new life to a run-down neighborhood.
A three-block section of the Reading Viaduct—a mile-long stretch of train tracks that haven't been used since 1984—is being considered to be transformed into an elevated park-like walkway. Demolishing the viaduct would cost millions more than revitalizing it, officials said.
Much like in New York, a grassroots group is responsible for kick-starting the project. Formed in 2003, the Reading Viaduct Project has documented the viaduct's history and is trying to attract donors. The non-profit says that it currently has more than 200 supporters. [The Associated Press]
Taking a trip to Philly soon? Check out our Philadelphia Travel Guide for the best planning information and more.
Photo credit: courtesy saikofish / flickr
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 11 Cyber Monday Travel Deals at Beach Hotels
- 15 Festivals to Attend Before You Die
- Ultimate Safari Planner
- Fodor's 2013 Holiday Gift Guide: Stocking Stuffers
- 10 Cheeses Worth Traveling For
- Venice's Ban on Cruise Ships: What it Means for You
- America's Best Wine Bars
- World's 10 Coolest Ice Hotels
- 15 Best Places to Drink Hot Chocolate in America
- 10 Best US Ski Resorts for Families
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $525 -- Luxe Rio de Janeiro Resort over New Year's EveSheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $699 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Beach Escape w/AirApple Vacations
- $949 & up -- Caribbean: 7-Nt. Cruise on World's Largest ShipRoyal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Southern Caribbean CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $869 & up -- Westin Maui 3-Nt. Vacation w/AirPleasant Holidays