Top Hotels for Digital Detox
Hotel Monaco, ChicagoOffer: Have the front desk at Hotel Monaco lock up your electronics so you can gain entry to the property’s only "tranquility suite," a calming beige and silvery blue-toned room replete with heating pads, bamboo linens, a Jacuzzi, and stunning views of the city. Bonus: The staff will remove the TV and phones ahead of your arrival for ultra relaxation mode. Price: $449 per night
Lifehouse Country Spa Resort, Essex, EnglandOffer: Even though Lifehouse Country Spa says their detox package is for "stressed executives," but anyone seeking a no-tech, country getaway can head to rural Essex. Drop your smartphones off at daycare—what they call the "BlackBerry Creche"—and enjoy two days of personal training, a 50 minute massage and body treatment, and three gourmet meals a day with gratuities included. Price: $695 per person for two nights.
Echo Valley Ranch & Spa, British ColumbiaOffer: The stunning Echo Valley Ranch & Spa is working ranch that rewards those who step away from the screen with everything from an herbal oil massage to a horseback ride and guided meditative wilderness hike. Price: $650 per person for two nights.
The Quincy, Washington, DCOffer: The "Be Unplugged" package at The Quincy encourages guests to go old school—giving up their Kindle and other gadgets in exchange for a $25 Barnes & Noble gift certificate and journal to capture deep thoughts that may emerge. Price: Starts at $109 per night Heading off soon on your detox getaway? Start planning your trip with one of our great destination guides:
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
This might interest you... There is a new retreat called The Digital Detox... which is doing exactly this, but in extremely interesting, spiritually freeing, naturally beautiful and healthy environments completely off the grid. Designed for silicon valley techies, wallstreaters, teachers, musicians, students and soccer mom's alike..
I think the first one is this March in Ukiah, California at the Orr Hotsprings and then another one on an island in Cambodia... and then one in the jungle of Costa Rica... all with Yoga, meditation, hiking, and delicious food!! Check it at http://thedigitaldetox.org/
Some of these places will just stress you out since everyone else will be online! How about Stonington ME- no cell service; if you need your fix you must climb up the hill and sit on the porch at the Opera House. Or Botswana...safari camps use generators to run the lights and turn them off at night! Or the Kenai Back Country Lodge in Alaska- you take a raft in, and the beer is refrigerated in a stream...now thats off the grid
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 10 Best Outdoor Music Venues in the U.S.
- World's Most Unique Dining Experiences
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- Ten Things NOT to Do in Italy
- The 7 Best Family Beaches in the East
- A Fool-Proof Amalfi Coast Itinerary
- $849 & up -- Cancun: Riu 4-Star, 4-Night Getaway w/AirCheapCaribbean.com
- $68 & up -- Top-Rated D.C.-Area Hotel w/Breakfast, 30% OffEVEN Hotel Rockville
- $499 & up -- Cancun All-Inclusive Trip; Kids Stay FreeCheapCaribbean.com
- $109 & up -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort incl. WeekendsWestin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $79 & up -- Virginia Hotels and Resorts on Sale, Save 50%Featured Destination: Virginia
- $229 & up -- Oceanview: 4-Night Spring Baja Mexico CruiseCarnival Cruise Line