Sacramento's New $1 Billion Terminal Opens
By Seth Baker
Sacramento International Airport's new $1 billion art-filled terminal has opened, one of the largest construction projects in the city's history.
The terminal's centerpiece is a suspended, 56-foot long red hare jumping into a suitcase, just one many works of locally-inspired art—which cost $6 million to acquire—designed to capture the spirit of California’s Central Valley.
The project took two and a half years to complete, and created 2,400 jobs in a state where the unemployment rate is more than 10%.
In addition to the eye candy, the terminal features next generation scanners, people-movers, and walls built specifically to allow for future expansion. Shops and branches of local restaurants are on either side of security, as are seats with padding, cup-holders, and built-in electrical outlets.
Planning a trip to Sacramento? Check out our Sacramento Travel Guide.Photo credit: courtesy aresauburn/flickr
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Fall 2014 Guide to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Best Biking Cities in the U.S.
- World's 10 Best Art Fairs
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- 10 Artists' Homes You Can Visit
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- $119 & up -- San Diego 4-Star Waterfront Hotel, 35% OffSheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
- $129-$169 -- SoCal: Carlsbad 4-Star Resort near LegolandSheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa
- $140 & up -- Downtown D.C. Hotel Sale thru Fall, 20% OffStarwood Hotels and Resorts
- $4399 & up -- Australia Luxe Ayers Rock, Reef & Sydney w/AirDown Under Endeavours
- $899 & up -- Hawaii: Weeklong Cruise to 4 IslandsNorwegian Cruise Line
- $170 & up -- Savannah 4-Diamond Forsyth Park Hotel, 45% OffMansion on Forsyth Park