Sacramento's New $1 Billion Terminal Opens
By Seth Baker
Sacramento International Airport's new $1 billion art-filled terminal has opened, one of the largest construction projects in the city's history.
The terminal's centerpiece is a suspended, 56-foot long red hare jumping into a suitcase, just one many works of locally-inspired art—which cost $6 million to acquire—designed to capture the spirit of California’s Central Valley.
The project took two and a half years to complete, and created 2,400 jobs in a state where the unemployment rate is more than 10%.
In addition to the eye candy, the terminal features next generation scanners, people-movers, and walls built specifically to allow for future expansion. Shops and branches of local restaurants are on either side of security, as are seats with padding, cup-holders, and built-in electrical outlets.
Planning a trip to Sacramento? Check out our Sacramento Travel Guide.Photo credit: courtesy aresauburn/flickr
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014: The Best Travel Deals
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in Paris
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts in the Caribbean
- 7 Under-The-Radar All-Inclusive Resorts
- 20 Ultimate Things to Do in New York City
- 15 Under-the-Radar Vacation Destinations
- 10 Places to Go This Winter
- How to Use the Internet to Find the Best Airplane Seats
- 7 Best Warm Weather Trips Without a Passport
- World's Best Honeymoon Destinations for 2014
- $1349 -- Balcony: Alaska Cruise w/All Drinks & $600 CreditCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $1099 -- Mediterranean: 14-Nt. Princess Cruise w/$300 CreditPrincess Cruises
- $265 & up -- 4-Star Cancun Resort w/$50 Credit, Save 20%The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas, Cancun
- $719* & up -- 2015 Fares to Europe from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $179 & up -- 4-Star Ft. Lauderdale Resort & Spa, Save 50%The Westin Beach Resort & Spa, Fort Lauderdale
- $64 & up -- Savannah Hotels, B&Bs and Inns on Sale, 60% OffVisit Savannah