Sacramento's New $1 Billion Terminal Opens
By Seth Baker
Sacramento International Airport's new $1 billion art-filled terminal has opened, one of the largest construction projects in the city's history.
The terminal's centerpiece is a suspended, 56-foot long red hare jumping into a suitcase, just one many works of locally-inspired art—which cost $6 million to acquire—designed to capture the spirit of California’s Central Valley.
The project took two and a half years to complete, and created 2,400 jobs in a state where the unemployment rate is more than 10%.
In addition to the eye candy, the terminal features next generation scanners, people-movers, and walls built specifically to allow for future expansion. Shops and branches of local restaurants are on either side of security, as are seats with padding, cup-holders, and built-in electrical outlets.
Planning a trip to Sacramento? Check out our Sacramento Travel Guide.Photo credit: courtesy aresauburn/flickr
You May Also Like
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- 4 Perfect Japan Itineraries
- NYC's Best New Outdoor Watering Holes
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com