The Most Underrated Caribbean Islands
By Paul Rubio
Looking for an island vacation this winter but don't want to be hassled by crowds? Escape the cold by straying off the beaten path for some fun in the sun in the Caribbean’s most spectacular—and underrated—islands.
The least known of the U.S. Virgin Islands, St. Croix is an unexpected delight of mystical rainforests, plantation ruins, world class diving and breathtaking lookout points, including the easternmost point of the U.S. You’ll find all this and more at the North Shore’s renovated Renaissance Carambola Beach Resort; but plan a detour to Christiansted for a dinner at the legendary Restaurant Bacchus.
Sleepy Anguilla has managed to embrace globalization without losing its true West Indian flavor. Understated elegance and a carefree vibe reign supreme at the visually stunning Viceroy Anguilla, while back-to-basics island eats—like fresh caught spiny lobster—dominate the scene at Smokey's beach barbeque.
Parrot Cay Island, Turks & Caicos
The private island of Parrot Cay in Turks & Caicos is the reality of your wildest Robinson Crusoe fantasies. A vast isle accommodating 100 guests at a time, Parrot Cay is all about the glorious art of doing nothing. Typical days consist of ambles on the beach, morning yoga, spa treatments, and reading by the pool.
The serene island of Virgin Gorda caters to outdoor enthusiasts and avid beach lovers, with ample opportunity for enjoying self-guided hikes and discovering deserted beaches. Take advantage of the "beach drop-off service" at Rosewood Little Dix Bay, where the houseboat whisks guests off to uncharted beaches. End the evening with local cuisine at Chez Bamboo in quaint Spanish Town.
Photo credit: Virgin Gorda, courtesy of mrsmack/Fodors.com member
You May Also Like
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
I can definitively contest for St. Croix!
Beautiful Island, lovely people. They were so welcoming.
The views I'm not so enthusiastic about, nothing really stood out in that regard. We have lots of pics though, but besides that, thumbs up.
Id go again. =)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Summer
- 4 Great Places to Stay Near Yellowstone National Park
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Beginner's Guide to Glamping
- Bangkok 101: What (and Where) to Eat
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- Summer 2013 Guide to New York City
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3152 & up -- Italy Luxury Trip w/Air & Rail between CitiesSceptre Tours
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50%Hotel Riu Sante Fe
- $150 & Up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% OffLe Westin Montreal
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/ToursDown Under Answers