Christchurch Update: What You Need to Know
The Central City "Red Zone"Resolute to the core, the people of Christchurch and Canterbury want it known that the city is open for business and visitors are welcome. Some affectionately refer to their city as the "donut city," with a big hole in the middle and all the action round the outside—and until the "Red Zone" reopens that will remain true. But Christchurch has also been presented with a unique opportunity to redesign the city from the center outwards, allowing a new low-rise built environment and large areas of inner city parklands where rebuilding is not possible. In the meantime, the areas north of city center, such as Merivale and Riccarton are good bases for exploring.
RestaurantsCentral Christchurch lost over 200 restaurants and bars in the quakes. Although some are reopening or have relocated there is only a handful open in the central city. For the best dining options, look north of the city to the suburbs for a number of easy-going bars, restaurants, and cafes Merivale and Riccarton. Call ahead for seating as they are increasingly busy. Fodor's Recommends: Tiffanys, Rotherhams and 50 On Park are currently the best options for fine dining in the city. Cook'n With Gas, Chinwag Eathai, Pescatore, and the Curators House are excellent casual and trendy restaurants operating in the inner city well.
HotelsMany of central Christchurch’s hotels are inside the cordon that is currently off limits. But there are plenty of alternatives along Papanui Road and Riccarton Road just outside the city center, as well as quality B&Bs, small hotels, and lodges around Riccarton, Merivale, the airport, and north of the city. Many of the central city hotels should return over 2012–2013. Fodor's Recommends: Charlotte Jane, Clearwater Resort, Elm Street House, Otahuna Lodge are all fine accommodations that are currently receiving guests.
NightlifeThe best action used to be in the bars and cafés along in an area of the city known as the Strip. This area could begin to reopen from early 2012. In the meantime, two new entertainment hubs have developed. Fodor's Recommends: Riccarton’s bars and restaurants, especially around Riccarton Road and Rotherham Street, have become very popular evening and late-night gathering places. Trevinos and the Fox and Ferret are fun spots. Merivale has also become a favorite of locals looking to gather, drink and share stories–look out for No 4 and JDV.
Side Trips from the CityLyttelton, a sleepy port town, was very badly hit by the earthquakes. The biggest loss, historically, was the Timeball Station where ships would make sure their chronometers were accurate by checking them when the large ball at the Timeball Station was lowered. By mid-2012, Lyttelton town should be open for visitors, but in the meantime Governor’s Bay and farther round to Diamond Harbour makes a nice half-day drive from the city. You can also catch a boat for a cruise from the port. Headed to New Zealand soon for the warm weather as the Northern Hemisphere cools? For more planning information, see our Christchurch Travel Guide and New Zealand Travel Guide. Photo Credits: Balloon over Canterbury Plains courtesy Tourism New Zealand / David Wall, Avon River courtesy Tourism New Zealand, Alfresco dining courtesy Tourism New Zealand / Kieran Scott
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 US Islands Where You Can Beat the Winter Blues
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- 10 Great Spots in Paris with a Literary History
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Where to Eat at This Year's SXSW Festival
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2498 -- Upscale Bahamas & Bermuda Cruise incl. R/T AirfareOceania Cruises
- $1289 & up -- Honolulu: 4.5-Star Waikiki 5-Nt. Trip w/AirApple Vacations
- $279 & up -- Oceanview: 4-Night Cruise to Cozumel, 40% OffRoyal Caribbean
- $208-- Miami: New Luxury South Beach Hotel, Reg. $449The Redbury, South Beach
- $1255 & up -- Paris & Amsterdam 6-Nt. Trip w/Air & TrainsEuropeanDestinations.com
- $1299 -- Italy: 7-Nt. Tuscany Castle Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations