New England Fall Foliage Guide
Fantastic Fall Experiences
Road TripFor local drives perfect for an afternoon, see our 6 Best Fall Foliage Drives in New England. We've got a downloadable drive for Western Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Inland Maine.
Hike and BikeYou can sign on for foliage-focused hiking holidays with Country Walkers and Boundless Journeys. Bike Vermont and VBT Bicycling Vacations run cycling-based tours. If you are short on time (or energy), a simple autumnal stroll might be just the ticket: many state parks even offer free short ranger-led rambles.
Soar above the crowdsNew Hampshireâ€™s Cannon Mountain is only one of several New England ski resorts that provides gondola or aerial tram rides during foliage season. Area hot-air balloon operators, like the Balloon School of Massachusetts, help you take it in from the top.
Ride the rails or the currentBoard the Essex Steam Train for a ride through the Connecticut countryside or float through northern Rhode Island on the Blackstone Valley Explorer riverboat.
Predicting the PeakPinning down precisely when colors will appear remains an inexact science, although location plays a major role. Typically, the transformation begins in the highest and northernmost parts of New England in mid-September, then moves steadily into lower altitudes and southern sectors throughout October. For trip planning, think in terms of regions rather than states. In Maine (a huge state that runs north–south) leaf color can peak anytime from the fourth week of September to the third week of October, depending on the locale. Early September weather is another deciding factor. From the foliage aficionado’s perspective, the ideal scenario is calm, temperate days capped by nights that are cool but still above freezing. If the weather is too warm, it delays the onset of the season. If it’s too dry or windy, they shrivel up or blow off.
Hotel ReservationsAccommodations fill quickly in autumn. Vermont’s top lodgings sell out months in advance for the first two weeks in October. So book early and expect a two-night minimum stay requirement. If you can’t find a quaint inn, try basing yourself at a B&B or off-season ski resort. Also, be prepared for some sticker shock; if you can travel midweek, you’ll often save quite a bit.
More on New England from Fodor's
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
I landed at Bangor Maine this morning and trying to figure out best route for fall foilage. My original thought was to go up to Canada, New Brunswick - St Andrews/St Johns area and ferry over to Novia Scotia, I don't even know how to estimate how many days take to appreciate the things there, or mapped out yet and then come back to Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont before flying back home to Arkansas. Seems to be moving in faster....maybe need turn around directions ..any suggestions?
PS I had booked the 4 Star Sheraton next to Bangor Airport for simplicity and reviews were good for it and not so good for some others hotels reviews in area as loud and not so clean. I want to say in all my travels, I have never had so great a room! Has 2 Double beds which I had been concerned with..but they are soft and comfy and with lots of pillows like I have at home to accomodate my fibromyalgia and degenative disk problems NOW FOR the greater thing..I went online at Sheraton.com and found a coupon code good till 12/31/11 (Code NBR ) which allows you to get the second and even the third nights for the same as the last two digits in birthday which made ours $37 !! as my husband turned 74 in September.. I added two more nights and this averaged the room to $85 nightly which is a great rate. Called Sheraton St Johns, and they will do same
Any suggestions on travel plans??? I'd appreciate as I'm up trying to plan ahead again!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina Right Now
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- Top 10 Places to Go This Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- 15 Legendary Hotels Around the World
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $3860 & up -- Europe: 9-Nt. Trip w/London, Paris, ItalyGreat Value Vacations
- $609 & up -- Hawaii 3-Night Vacations w/Air & Car RentalPleasant Holidays
- $2175 & up -- Scotland: Castle & Manor Vacation w/AirGreat Value Vacations
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Tours & Air, $300 OffFriendly Planet Travel
- $489 & up -- Weeklong Bahamas Cruise to Nassau & FreeportCarnival Cruise Lines
- $143 & up -- San Francisco Hotels on Sale, up to 75% Offtrivago