Berlin by Design: Spotlight on Mitte
Mitte OrientationA great area to see a sampling of the city's best design is in Mitte. Small eateries and hotels with eclectic décor are dotted among shops. The most established local designers' boutiques can be found on Mulackstrasse, as well as on smaller streets in between Rosenthaler Strasse in the west and Luxembourg Strasse in the east, south of Torstrasse. An edgier area with a hipster feel is around Volkspark am Weinberg, where the park acts as an anchor to hilly sidewalks packed with 20-somethings and young families having brunch and browsing around. But the best place to spend an afternoon is to head west on Torstrasse from Rosenthaler Strasse, for newer up-and-coming designers as well as galleries, bookshops, local greenmarkets, and gourmet food stores. (Also see Getting Oriented in Berlin and our Mitte destination guide.)
When to GoMitte is lively on the weekends but not overwhelmingly crowded, so it’s possible to stroll along main streets and window shop without being jostled. Most shops are open from 10 a.m. to as late as 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Sunday is a mixed bag, so if there’s a specific store you’re hoping to hit check hours in advance. Evenings begin with people gathering at local beer gardens and bars before dinner, followed by late nights at clubs and music venues that stay packed till dawn.
Fashion and Shopping
Art and Architecture
- Berliner Fernsehturm (Berlin TV Tower) review
- East Side Gallery review
- Hackesche HÃ¶fe (Hacke Courtyards) review
- VAU restaurant review
- Paris-Moskau restaurant review
- Confiserie Orientale. Perk yourself up with a strong Turkish coffee or tea imported from Istanbul and authentic lokum (Turkish Delights). (Linienstr. 113, 03060/925-957)
- Cafe Ribo. Don’t miss this café for simple, homemade, and inexpensive traditional German food on the lighter side. (Ackerstr. 157, 7662042369)
- Eismanufaktur. You’ll find the best gelato in the city here. (Auguststr. 63, www.eismanufaktur-berlin.de)
Member Comments (3) Post a Comment
Berlin Private Tours, Berlin Private Guide, Berlin Tour Guide.
Berlin is an amazing place, but do you know where to go, where to stay and what to see?
Well! You cannot know everything and now you do not need to. There is a solution!
Berlin Private Guide that is why we are here.
where to there???????
Small eateries and hotels with eclectic décor? Cool! I would love to go to Mitte one of these days. Thanks for this informative post!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Top Bakeries Across the US
- World's 10 Best Trips for Wine Lovers
- 20 Gorgeous Seaside Towns in Italy
- Pot Tourism: How to Buy Marijuana in Colorado
- 10 Castles You Can Actually Afford to Sleep In
- Romantic Getaway: Long Weekend in San Juan
- World's Best Destinations for Solo Travel
- Where to Drink in Chicago Now
- 10 Best Lakeside Hotels in the US
- Cheap and Chic: 10 Affordable Hawaii Hotels
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2089 & up -- Panama Canal 13-Day Cruise incl. Costa RicaCarnival Cruise Lines
- $679 & up -- Cabo: Riu Resort w/Kid's Club Trip incl. AirApple Vacations
- $1267 & up -- Ireland in Fall: 8-Nt. Vacation w/Car from NYCGreat Value Vacations
- $1527 & up -- Ireland in Fall: 8-Nt. Vacation w/Car from LAGreat Value Vacations
- $149-$169 -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 25%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $125 & up -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria