Where to Shop for Antiques and Crafts in New England
Top Shopping Routes and SightsOne of the most effective and fun ways to shop is to hop in the car and drive through sleepy, scenic towns. On several key shopping routes in New England, stretches of road are absolutely packed with shops. Charles Street in Boston and downtown Providence and Portland are ideal, compact urban shopping areas for walking. If you do have wheels, try these routes. Route 100, Vermont One of the most picturesque drives in the Green Mountain State, this winding road goes from Wilmington north all the way up to Stowe. You’ll pass craft studios, general stores like the Vermont Country Store in Weston, and plenty of red barns and covered bridges. Vermont Country Store Review Route 7, Berkshire County, Massachusetts Practically the entire route is chock-a-block with antiques stores. The Berkshire County Antiques Dealers Association publishes a handy guide to the various shops. Key Western MassachuÂ¬setts shopping towns include Great Barrington, Sheffield, and Lenox. Berkshires Travel Guide Main Street, Putnam, Connecticut Most of the town has a stuck-in-time quality, so it’s a great place to spend the day the northeastern part of the state. The majority of antique stores are clustered around Main Street and its offshoots. Start your hunt at the massive Antiques Marketplace. Antiques Marketplace Review Route 1, Southern Maine Pick up this Maine coastal route to hit shopping hot spots like Kennebunk, Wells, and Ogunquit. Colonial furniture, architectural antiques, and galleries with quirky specialties are great breaks from summer traffic. Ogunquit, the Kennebunks, and the Southern Coast Travel Guide Route 133, Essex, Massachusetts North of Boston, more than 30 antiques shops line this road. Many shops are in old Colonial and Greek Revival buildings. Research potential shops of the Essex Antiques Dealer Association. Side Trips from Boston Travel Guide Route 6A, Cape Cod. Also known as the Old King’s Highway, this winding route runs through Sandwich, Barnstable, Dennis, and Brewster past plenty of antiques shops. Yarmouth has several art galleries and annual crafts festivals are held in Falmouth, Orleans, and Chatham. Cape Cod Travel Guide
Top Craft FairsCenter for Maine Crafts, West Gardiner, Maine (mainecrafts.org) League of New Hampshire Craftsmen’s Fair, Newbury, New Hampshire August (pictured, www.nhcrafts.org) Ocean State Artisans Holiday Craft Festival, Warwick, Rhode Island November (www.oceanstateartisans.com/) Petersham Craft Center, Petersham, Massachusetts (www.petershamcraftcenter.org/) Society of Arts and Crafts, Boston, Massachusetts (www.societyofcrafts.org) Stonehouse Antique and Crafts Center, Chester, Vermont (802/875–4477)
Top Antique ShowsBrimfield Antique and Collectible Shows, Brimfield, Massachusetts May, July and September (www.brimfieldshow.com) Elephant’s Trunk Country Flea Market, New Milford, Connecticut Most Sundays except in December and March (www.etflea.com) Farmington Antiques Weekend, Connecticut June and September (www.farmingtonantiquesweekend.com) Maine Antiques Festival, Union, Maine August (www.maineantiquefest.com) Photo Credit: parema / iStockphoto
Member Comments (2) Post a Comment
You missed a wonderful town full of antiques and great dining options in Woodbury, Connecticut! About 75 miles from NYC, 150 from Boston.
Great list you have here! I'd sure love to go to those Craft Fairs. Looking forward for more of these.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now | Fodor's
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- $119-$159 -- 4-Star Houston Hotel at the Galleria, Save 55%The Westin Oaks Houston at the Galleria
- $746* & up -- Winter Fares to Europe from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $1999 -- Escorted China & Hong Kong 11-Nt. Escape w/AirHong Kong Tourism Board
- $119-$149 -- Weekends: Houston Hotel near Galleria, 60% OffThe Westin Galleria Houston
- $139 -- Luxe Colorado Resort incl. Parking, 50% OffWestin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $338* & up -- Fare Sale to Europe (One-Way, R/T Required)LOT Polish Airlines