Get familiar with the Indonesian toilet
There are several models: the long porcelain bowl in the floor, which flushes; the usual Western throne; its seatless cousin, often used in mid-price hotels, which is flushed with a dipper of water; and the hole in the ground. Instructions for floor toilets: squat and go—but if you want toilet paper, you’ll have to bring it. (Instead of paper, Indonesians use water and soap to wash their nether regions after using the bathroom.) The floor toilet requires balance, but most people actually find it easy with practice. Most tourist hotels and restaurants have Western-style toilets. Note that the sink is often outside the room with the toilet, and there is sometimes a nominal charge (rupiah 100) for restroom use in such public places as bus terminals. If you need to find a bathroom, ask for the WC (way-say).
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 10 Natural and Organic Beauty Products Worth Packing
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $2011* & up -- Premium Economy Fares to Paris (Roundtrip)Air France
- $1195* & up -- Summer Fare Sale to Paris from the U.S., R/TAir France
- $1140 & up -- Barcelona & Rome 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelEuropeanDestinations.com
- $2999 -- Spain: 7-Night Culinary & Wine Cruise on WindstarWindstar Cruises
- $119 -- Wisconsin: Water Park Resort Suite thru SummerTimber Ridge Lodge & Waterpark
- $2899 & up -- Australia: Sydney Trip w/Air & Tours, $460 OffDestination New South Wales
* Some taxes, fees additional