New York Gay Marriage: Savings for Same-Sex Couples
What You Need to KnowWhether you're a New York resident or you're visiting from another state or even country, you'll be able to marry legally in the Empire State once the act goes into effect, on July 24. You can find information on planning a wedding and obtaining a marriage license by visiting the same-sex marriage FAQ website that New York City's official tourism office, NYCGO.com, has created as part of its "NYC I Do" gay marriage campaign.
Great Deals and Packages in New York CityFrom luxury properties like Le Parker Meridien, The Pierre, and the Ritz-Carlton Battery Park, to more affordable brands like the boutique GEM Hotels in Chelsea, SoHo, and Midtown, many Big Apple hotels are putting together packages to court the same-sex wedding business. One especially attractive deal: W Hotels four NYC properties are promoting a "Right to Unite" same-sex marriage packages that includes a suite, car service to and from City Hall, a flip-cam to document your nuptials, champagne and wedding cake, and several other fun perks starting at $1,019 per night. Plus, plan your wedding at either the W New York or W Union Square, and you'll receive two free nights to celebrate your honeymoon at Puerto Rico's W Vieques. The Millennium Broadway has teamed with the gorgeously renovated historic Hudson Theatre to create a "Wedding with PRIDE Package" that includes a reception with prices starting at $195 per guest, plus 15% off accommodations. And the venerable gay-owned Chelsea Pines Inn is hosting a contest for gay couples who marry on the first day the law takes effect. One winning couple will receive a free night in the inn's honeymoon suite, complete with champagne and cupcakes. And all who enter and get married this summer will be offered a $199 rate for the suite (which usually goes for $399). For more deals, check out the NYCGO.com listings of more than a dozen Pride in the City packages.
Best Bets Beyond the BoroughsPlenty of other cities around the state are rolling out the rainbow carpet. Couples can take the plunge in Niagara Falls, recently touted as one of the country's best destinations for same-sex weddings, and the town clerk in Long Island's North Hempstead is one of several around the state taking the rare step of opening its offices on Sunday, July 24 (the first day that gay marriage is legalized). The prestigious Lessing's company, which operates a number of elegant Long Island restaurants and event spaces, including the Vanderbilt Mansion in Centerport and the Estate at Three Village Inn overlooking Stony Brook Harbor, has highlighted its gay wedding venues on one convenient website. And in the Adirondacks, the swanky Mirror Lake Inn has unveiled a New York Honeymoon deal that includes two nights' accommodation, one dinner in the renowned View Restaurant, one spa service per person, and complimentary robes starting at $1,350 per couple.
More on New York Travel
Member Comments (5) Post a Comment
I photographed a number of same sex marriages here in Toronto. 1 of them was a couple from New York back in 2009 who flew here for their wedding. I am happy to see things are changing!!
To celebrate the passage of the Marriage Equality Act these NYC wedding photographers www.funicostudios.com are providing special offers.
In addition to the various generous offers in NYC to the first July 2011 same sex couples, the Caribbean-based Villa Rainbow, small luxury exclusively-gay guesthouse of St Martin, is offering a 50% discount on all short stays to these new couples! (Valid until Oct 31 2011).
Villa Rainbow is a charming stone villa with breathtaking views on the Caribbean sea, offering 5 elegant and spacious rooms, a cloting optional pool and a lush tropical and orchids garden. http://www.villarainbow.fr
In celebration of the New York gay marriage decision, eminjay design is having a contest to "win an invitation suite for the wedding of your dreams" at www.eminjayweddings.com.
on Jul 20, 11 at 03:25 PM
I was just reading about how there's so many people who want to get married on Sunday the 24th that NYC is having a lottery for couples who want that day. And they'll still be breaking a record for the most people married in the city in one day!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Ultimate Guide to European Rail Passes
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
- Wine Lover's Guide to St. Helena
- Vote for Fodor's Travel to Go to the 2015 SXSW Festival
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $105-$115 -- Costa Rica All-Inclusive Beach Hotel, Save 25%Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $840* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $1145 & up -- 6-Nt. Berlin & Prague Package w/Air & TrainEuropeanDestinations.com
- $160-$175 -- Jamaica: New Adults-Only All-Inclusive ResortHotel Riu Palace Jamaica
- $1774* & up -- Premium Economy Fares to Paris (Roundtrip)Air France
- $1313 & up -- Bangkok & Phuket 6-Nt. Trip w/Air & HotelsTripMasters.com