Brace yourself for shopping at a Chinese market to avoid being overwhelmed
It’s great fun for the savvy shopper. Do haggle—with histrionics at the seller’s first asking price but with a polite, positive attitude throughout, and never with finger pointing (use your whole hand instead). That said, be prepared to be grabbed, pushed, followed, stared at, and even have people whispering offers in your ear. Personal space and privacy aren’t thought of in the same way as in the West, so the invasion of them is common. Also, many Chinese love to touch foreign children, so make sure any younger traveling companions are aware of and prepared for this. See our China Travel Guide.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Asia's 10 Best Second Cities
- 25 Things To Do in New York This Fall
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- 15 Must-See Literary Sights in London
- How to Get a Seat Upgrade
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- Where to Eat in Montreal Now
- Global Entry vs. TSA PreCheck: Which One Is Right for You?
- What's the One Thing Fodor's Editors Never Travel Without?
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1647 & up -- Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong 9-Nt. Trip w/AirTripMasters.com
- $828* & up -- Asia Fares on Sale into Fall on Luxe AirlineSingapore Airlines
- $679* & up -- Europe Fall Fares on 'Best Airline' (R/T)Lufthansa Airlines
- $131 & up -- Alabama: 4-Star Birmingham Hotel, 30% OffThe Westin Birmingham
- $105-$115 -- Costa Rica All-Inclusive Beach Hotel, Save 25%Hotel Riu Guanacaste
- $149-$189 -- Cleveland: Brand New 4-Star Hotel DowntownThe Westin Cleveland Downtown
* Some taxes, fees additional