Unless you're serious about shopping, don't engage Antigua street vendors
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
How would you like to be treated if you were a street vendor? As though you are a piece of dirt, or with respect?
In my experience higglers, or street vendors, in the Caribbean and elsewhere, get aggressive WHEN you treat them in the above manner.
Look them in the eye, smile at them, treat them with respect and as an equal, say a firm "No thank you".
I have dealt with these people all my life in Jamaica and elsewhere. I have always gotten back the respect I have given them.
Most of them are honest good people. They are the salt of the earth.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- Fall 2014 Guide to Washington, D.C.
- $499* & up -- Scandinavia & Europe Winter & Spring Sale, R/TScandinavian Airlines
- $165 & up -- SC: 4-Star Hilton Head Island Resort, Save 40%The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- $233-$269 -- NYC: Times Square Hotel incl. Holidays, 35% OffThe Westin New York Times Square
- $99 & up -- 4-Star Lake Las Vegas Resort, Save 30%Westin Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa
- $399 & up -- Ends 10/24: Bahamas Cruises w/Onboard CreditNorwegian Cruise Line
- $198 & up -- Aruba: 4-Star All-Incl. Sale w/Flight CreditBookIt.com