Unless you're serious about shopping, don't engage Antigua street vendors
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
How would you like to be treated if you were a street vendor? As though you are a piece of dirt, or with respect?
In my experience higglers, or street vendors, in the Caribbean and elsewhere, get aggressive WHEN you treat them in the above manner.
Look them in the eye, smile at them, treat them with respect and as an equal, say a firm "No thank you".
I have dealt with these people all my life in Jamaica and elsewhere. I have always gotten back the respect I have given them.
Most of them are honest good people. They are the salt of the earth.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- Long Weekend in Lisbon
- Seafood Lover's Guide to Brittany, France
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $1282* & up -- New Zealand Fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $2149 & up -- Luxe China River Cruise w/Air, $1100 OffVacances Sinorama
- $2544* & up -- Fly to Australia in Premium Economy, R/TAir New Zealand
- $912* & up -- Global Sale on 5-Star Airline, R/T incl. TaxQatar Airways
- $234 & up -- Cayman Island Travel Deals; Save up to 40%Cayman Islands Department of Tourism
- $840* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand