Unless you're serious about shopping, don't engage Antigua street vendors
Member Comments (1) Post a Comment
How would you like to be treated if you were a street vendor? As though you are a piece of dirt, or with respect?
In my experience higglers, or street vendors, in the Caribbean and elsewhere, get aggressive WHEN you treat them in the above manner.
Look them in the eye, smile at them, treat them with respect and as an equal, say a firm "No thank you".
I have dealt with these people all my life in Jamaica and elsewhere. I have always gotten back the respect I have given them.
Most of them are honest good people. They are the salt of the earth.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Places to Go This Fall
- Top 10 Fall Trips for Food Lovers
- 10 Best Casino Restaurants in the World
- 11 Must-See Ch?teaux Outside Paris
- 10 Best U.S. Train Trips to Take This Fall
- Europe's 10 Most Epic Hiking Trails
- World's Best Golf Resorts
- Long Weekend in Palenque, Mexico
- Top 5 New York City Activities for Teens
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $749 -- Oceanview: 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise w/All Drinks & TipsCruCon Cruise Outlet
- $999 & up -- 11-Night Panama Canal Cruise on PrincessAmerican Express Travel
- $79 -- 72-Hour Sale for Caribbean 'Hilton' Resorts, 60% OffHilton Hotels & Resorts
- $143 -- 4-Star All-Incl. St. Thomas Beach Resort, 60% OffBookIt.com
- $63-$79 -- Condo at Panama City Beachfront Resort, Half OffBookIt.com
- $99 -- Orlando 4-Star Resort, Save 50%Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld