Your Favorite American Regional Foods
Members of the Fodors.com community made the following nominations for their favorite American regional specialties. The list is far from comprehensive, but it’s a starting point for contemplating the good eats that await you on your travels.
Member comments follow a few entries. See the original thread on our forums—or add your favorites in the comments below.
New England and the Mid-Atlantic
Bagels: New York "Not the fake Wonder Bread bagels—but real bagels that are chewy and almost tough." —nytraveler
Blueberry pie: Maine
Cheese steaks: Philadelphia
Clam chowder: New England
Corn chowder: Maryland
Crab cakes: Maryland
Fried clams: Massachusetts
Half-smokes: Washington, D.C.
Indian pudding: New England
Knishes: New York
Lobster rolls: New England
Maple syrup: New England
Pastrami: New York
Shoo-fly pie: Pennsylvania
Barbecue: North Carolina
Boiled peanuts: South Carolina
Country ham: Kentucky
Cuban sandwiches: Miami
Fried green tomatoes: The Deep South
Red beans and rice: Louisiana
Ropa vieja: South Florida
Shrimp and grits: Charleston, S.C.
The Midwest and the Rockies
Chili four-way: Cincinnati
Deep-dish pizza: Chicago
Hot dogs: Chicago
Huckleberries: Montana and Wyoming
Runza sandwiches: Nebraska "Bread stuffed with ground beef and cabbage." —Musicfan
Toasted ravioli: St. Louis
Walleye pike: Minnesota
Wild rice soup: Minnesota
Chicken-fried steak: Texas: "One of the few things I miss about no longer living in Texas." —PaulRabe
Fry sauce: Southern Utah
Gulf shrimp: Texas
Hatch chile: New Mexico: "Posole: a stew with dried hominy wouldn’t be the same without it." —ElendilPickle
Indian fry bread: Arizona
Sopapillas: New Mexico
Sonoran enchiladas: Arizona
The West Coast
Apples: Central Washington
Artichokes: Central California
Carne asada burrito: San Diego
Cioppino: San Francisco
Dungeness crab: Northern California
Fish/produce: Washington: "In thinking about the food I grew up with I remember the ingredients more than any singular dish—crab, trout, salmon, clams and oysters, berries, apples, etc., all served simply and with coffee or espresso." —POlson
Fish tacos: San Diego
Sourdough bread: San Francisco
Alaska and Hawaii
Dried Salmon: Alaska
Eskimo Ice Cream (Akutaq): Alaska
Macadamia Nuts: Hawaii
Plate Lunch: Hawaii
Shave Ice: Hawaii
Photo Credit: sbossert / iStockPhoto
You May Also Like
Member Comments (6) Post a Comment
on Jul 2, 11 at 03:10 PM
Thumbs up for toasted ravioli!
How about Chicago's famous Italian Beef?
And New York City's Cheesecake?
And Key West's Key Lime Pie?
How about spiedies in Broome County, New York (Binghamton area)?
These are marinated and grilled kebobs (chicken, veal or pork) served on white bread or rolls.
If I ever got served a lobster roll with the large chunks of lobster shown in your photo, I might not mind spending $18 or more for one of those sandwiches!
on Jul 6, 11 at 10:00 PM
Agree about Key Lime Pie - my husband would also nominate Cold Sloppy Joes (triple-decker sandwich with coleslaw and russian dressing) from North Jersey.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 6 Dream Travel Jobs that Actually Exist
- Fodor's Approved: Best Checked Luggage
- Top 20 Spring Day Trips From New York City
- 10 Best Small Towns in America
- Tips from the Jet Set: How to Do Paris Right
- Airline Uniforms Get a Fashion Update
- 4 Perfect Southern Summer Itineraries
- Most Popular Honeymoon Destinations (and Where to Stay)
- Best Day Trips from Paris
- The Ultimate Packing Guide for Europe
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1363* & up -- Premium Economy to London, R/TBritish Airways
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $985 & up -- Panama: 7-Nt. City, Jungle & Beach Tour w/AirLatinEscapes.com
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail HikingLatinEscapes.com