Your Favorite American Regional Foods
New England and the Mid-AtlanticBagels: New York "Not the fake Wonder Bread bagels—but real bagels that are chewy and almost tough." —nytraveler Blueberry pie: Maine Cheese steaks: Philadelphia Clam chowder: New England Corn chowder: Maryland Crab cakes: Maryland Fried clams: Massachusetts Half-smokes: Washington, D.C. Indian pudding: New England Knishes: New York Lobster rolls: New England Maple syrup: New England Pastrami: New York Shoo-fly pie: Pennsylvania
The SouthBarbecue: North Carolina Beignets: Louisiana Boiled peanuts: South Carolina Boudin: Louisiana Country ham: Kentucky Cuban sandwiches: Miami Étouffée: Louisiana Fried green tomatoes: The Deep South Mufaletta: Louisiana Red beans and rice: Louisiana Ropa vieja: South Florida Shrimp and grits: Charleston, S.C.
The Midwest and the RockiesChili four-way: Cincinnati Deep-dish pizza: Chicago Hot dogs: Chicago Huckleberries: Montana and Wyoming Runza sandwiches: Nebraska "Bread stuffed with ground beef and cabbage." —Musicfan Toasted ravioli: St. Louis Walleye pike: Minnesota Wild rice soup: Minnesota
The SouthwestBarbecue: Texas Chicken-fried steak: Texas: "One of the few things I miss about no longer living in Texas." —PaulRabe Fry sauce: Southern Utah Gulf shrimp: Texas Hatch chile: New Mexico: "Posole: a stew with dried hominy wouldn’t be the same without it." —ElendilPickle Indian fry bread: Arizona Sopapillas: New Mexico Sonoran enchiladas: Arizona
The West CoastApples: Central Washington Artichokes: Central California Carne asada burrito: San Diego Cioppino: San Francisco Dungeness crab: Northern California Fish/produce: Washington: "In thinking about the food I grew up with I remember the ingredients more than any singular dish—crab, trout, salmon, clams and oysters, berries, apples, etc., all served simply and with coffee or espresso." —POlson Fish tacos: San Diego Sourdough bread: San Francisco
Alaska and HawaiiDried Salmon: Alaska Eskimo Ice Cream (Akutaq): Alaska Macadamia Nuts: Hawaii Plate Lunch: Hawaii Salmonberry: Alaska Shave Ice: Hawaii Photo Credit: sbossert / iStockPhoto
Member Comments (6) Post a Comment
on Jul 6, 11 at 10:00 PM
Agree about Key Lime Pie - my husband would also nominate Cold Sloppy Joes (triple-decker sandwich with coleslaw and russian dressing) from North Jersey.
If I ever got served a lobster roll with the large chunks of lobster shown in your photo, I might not mind spending $18 or more for one of those sandwiches!
How about spiedies in Broome County, New York (Binghamton area)?
These are marinated and grilled kebobs (chicken, veal or pork) served on white bread or rolls.
How about Chicago's famous Italian Beef?
And New York City's Cheesecake?
And Key West's Key Lime Pie?
on Jul 2, 11 at 03:10 PM
Thumbs up for toasted ravioli!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Go to Charleston, South Carolina, Right Now
- Ultimate Walt Disney World 2014 Planner
- 10 Best All-Inclusive Resorts for Families in the US
- America's 10 Best Spots for Seeing Wildflowers
- Fodor's Approved: 15 Most Stylish Women's Shoes for Travel
- Europe's Best City Escapes for Spring
- 15 Budget-Friendly Spring Getaways for 2014
- 15 Most Breathtaking World Heritage Sites
- World's Best Overwater Bungalows
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $887 & up -- Costa Rica Volcano & Forest 6-Nt. Trip w/AirTripMasters.com
- $1179 & up -- Big Island & Kauai 6-Nt. Package w/Air & HotelTripMasters.com
- $58* -- Los Angeles to San Jose this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $69* -- Portland to San Francisco this Spring, One WayAlaska Airlines
- $1159 & up -- Balcony on Weeklong Fjords of Norway CruiseRoyal Caribbean
- $99 & up -- Weekends at Downtown Memphis Hotel, Save 50%Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel