Hoping to Hang Ten on Costa Rica? Known where to find the different types of breaks
Beach breaks are the best type for beginners. Waves break over sandbars and the seafloor. Jacó, Hermosa, and Sámara are all beach breaks. Point breaks are created as waves hit a point jutting into the ocean. With the right conditions, this can create very consistent waves. Pavones is a point break. Reef break can create great (but dangerous) surf when waves break as they hit reef. There’s a good chance of getting smashed and scraped over extremely sharp coral or rocks. Salsa Brava, in Puerto Viejo, is a reef break. See our coverage of Costa Rica's Caribbean Coast.
Member Comments Post a Comment
Be the first to comment!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 10 Stunning Hotels in Unexpected Places
- 10 Restaurants Worth a Day Trip in Europe
- How to Pack Light for a Trip
- 15 Best Beer Gardens in the U.S.
- World's Most Luxurious Wine Country Hotels
- Best Credit Cards for Travelers
- 20 Best Day Trips in the U.S.
- 10 Last-Minute Beach Getaways for Summer
- How to Cure Jet Lag
- 10 Natural and Organic Beauty Products Worth Packing
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- $111 & up -- Puerto Rico: Old Town San Juan Hotel, Save 30%Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino
- $69 & up -- Nationwide Virgin America Sale into Fall, O/WVirgin America
- $142 & up -- Downtown LA Hotel During Summer, 35% OffSheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel
- $829 & up -- Maui 5-Night Trips incl. Air & Car, Save $250Pleasant Holidays
- $149-$179 -- Weekends at Dallas 4-Star Hotel, Save 40%The Westin Galleria Dallas
- $179-$199 -- 4-Star Panama City Beachfront Resort, 60% OffWestin Playa Bonita Panama
* Some taxes, fees additional