Great Beaches in Europe
Croatia"Bol on the island of Brac in Croatia is famous for windsurfing and also has the most beautiful beach in the Adriatic [Zlatni Rat (Golden Cape) ]." —Forum's member Robert "Vis, Croatia. Crystal clear water in a gorgeous setting, with it all to yourself." —Facebook user Laura D.
Greece"Any beach on Mykonos in Greece. :)" —Facebook user Chelsea S. "Crete for both nightlife and beauty." —Forum's member sheila "Rhodes - Lindos is one of the most memorable beaches I have visited (and there have been many!). We took the public bus there from Rhodes Town on several days - you must go there for the beach, village, tavernas, views!" —Forum's member parosblue
France"I really got a lot out of seeing the beaches at Normandy and imagining myself there on D-Day. What would I have been feeling and seeing. Would I have even survived?" —Facebook user Jo A.
Italy"Forte dei Marmi in Tuscany is nice." —Fodor's editor Matt_L "In terms of natural beaches absolutely none of Europes beaches come close to those in the Caribbean, other than those on Sardinia." —Forum's member humptynumpty
Netherlands"North Holland beaches!" —Facebook user Celia F.
Portugal"Algarve in Portugal, or Madeira Islands. Very popular beach destinations with European travelers." —Fodor's editor Molly_M "Nightlife and beaches: central Algarve (Albufeira, Praia da Rocha).Natural beaches: eastern Algarve (Tavira)." —Forum's member MyriamC
Scotland"Scotland - west coast islands-for everything except guaranteed sun"—Forum's member sheila
Spain"I could recommend Barceloneta in Barcelona, which is fun for people-watching. Castell in Palamos and Cap de Creus in Cadaques de Palafrugell (both in the Costa Brava of Spain) are also beautiful and well preserved." —Fodor's editor Maria_H "Tossa de Mar is one of the most beautiful, enchanted, and majestic beaches of Costa Blanca in Barcelona. This beach was made famous by one of the most beautiful women of the world, Ava Gardner from the movie Pandora and the Flying Dutchman." —Facebook user Kyriaki C. "In terms of nightlife and beaches - Mallorca or Ibiza." —Forum's member humptynumpty See our Europe Beach Itineraries to start planning your trip. Photo Credits: Navagio Beach (Smugglers Cove) in Greece by rusmrusm / iStockPhoto, Beach umbrellas in Positano, Italy courtesy Fodor's member Ann Forcier.
Member Comments (5) Post a Comment
I think Elafonissi, in sud-west of Creta is one of the best beaches in Europe. Clear water, white sand, wide bay and absolutly wonderful view from the top of the hill, which slowing down to the sea
My parents live on Skiathos (where parts of Mamma Mia were filmed), there are some fantatstic beaches there, about 60 on a small island.
Tricase in Puglia!
Plaka Beach on the Greek island of Naxos is a beautiful, soft sand beach with clear blue water. A fantastic beach for sunning and swimming. It was similar to the beaches in the Grenadines of the Caribbean.
Greece is definitely on top of my list! Mykonos is mesmerizing!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- Where to Go This Thanksgiving
- 10 Things NOT to Do at Walt Disney World | Fodor's
- 10 Books to Read Before You Go to Paris | Fodor's
- New Orleans' 10 Best Bars for Classic Cocktails
- Fall 2014 Guide to Paris | Fodor's
- 10 Best Biking Cities in the U.S.
- Top 10 Things to Do in Sonoma County (Besides Drink Wine)
- World's 10 Best Art Fairs
- World's Best Fashion Museums
- How to Tip When Traveling Around the World | Fodor's
- $97* & up -- Canada: Fare Sale from Across the US, O/WAir Canada
- $702* & up -- Flights to China (Roundtrip, including Tax)China National Tourism Office
- $119 & up -- Vancouver Stanley Park Hotel, 40% OffThe Westin Bayshore Vancouver
- $69 & up -- FL: 4-Star Panama City Beach Resort, 55% OffBookIt.com
- $893* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $269 -- Maui 4-Star Resort on Ka'anapali Beach, Save 35%The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali