Great Beaches in Europe
Croatia"Bol on the island of Brac in Croatia is famous for windsurfing and also has the most beautiful beach in the Adriatic [Zlatni Rat (Golden Cape) ]." —Forum's member Robert "Vis, Croatia. Crystal clear water in a gorgeous setting, with it all to yourself." —Facebook user Laura D.
Greece"Any beach on Mykonos in Greece. :)" —Facebook user Chelsea S. "Crete for both nightlife and beauty." —Forum's member sheila "Rhodes - Lindos is one of the most memorable beaches I have visited (and there have been many!). We took the public bus there from Rhodes Town on several days - you must go there for the beach, village, tavernas, views!" —Forum's member parosblue
France"I really got a lot out of seeing the beaches at Normandy and imagining myself there on D-Day. What would I have been feeling and seeing. Would I have even survived?" —Facebook user Jo A.
Italy"Forte dei Marmi in Tuscany is nice." —Fodor's editor Matt_L "In terms of natural beaches absolutely none of Europes beaches come close to those in the Caribbean, other than those on Sardinia." —Forum's member humptynumpty
Netherlands"North Holland beaches!" —Facebook user Celia F.
Portugal"Algarve in Portugal, or Madeira Islands. Very popular beach destinations with European travelers." —Fodor's editor Molly_M "Nightlife and beaches: central Algarve (Albufeira, Praia da Rocha).Natural beaches: eastern Algarve (Tavira)." —Forum's member MyriamC
Scotland"Scotland - west coast islands-for everything except guaranteed sun"—Forum's member sheila
Spain"I could recommend Barceloneta in Barcelona, which is fun for people-watching. Castell in Palamos and Cap de Creus in Cadaques de Palafrugell (both in the Costa Brava of Spain) are also beautiful and well preserved." —Fodor's editor Maria_H "Tossa de Mar is one of the most beautiful, enchanted, and majestic beaches of Costa Blanca in Barcelona. This beach was made famous by one of the most beautiful women of the world, Ava Gardner from the movie Pandora and the Flying Dutchman." —Facebook user Kyriaki C. "In terms of nightlife and beaches - Mallorca or Ibiza." —Forum's member humptynumpty See our Europe Beach Itineraries to start planning your trip. Photo Credits: Navagio Beach (Smugglers Cove) in Greece by rusmrusm / iStockPhoto, Beach umbrellas in Positano, Italy courtesy Fodor's member Ann Forcier.
Member Comments (5) Post a Comment
I think Elafonissi, in sud-west of Creta is one of the best beaches in Europe. Clear water, white sand, wide bay and absolutly wonderful view from the top of the hill, which slowing down to the sea
My parents live on Skiathos (where parts of Mamma Mia were filmed), there are some fantatstic beaches there, about 60 on a small island.
Tricase in Puglia!
Plaka Beach on the Greek island of Naxos is a beautiful, soft sand beach with clear blue water. A fantastic beach for sunning and swimming. It was similar to the beaches in the Grenadines of the Caribbean.
Greece is definitely on top of my list! Mykonos is mesmerizing!
Fodor's Top News & Features
- 5 Reasons to Visit Cleveland Now | Fodor's
- Three Places in the Dominican Republic to Visit Now | Fodor's
- Where to Eat in NYC for Fall 2014
- 20 of the World's Best Romantic Hotels
- 20 Hotels That Are Soaked in History
- America's 10 Best Cocktail Bars
- 10 Best Halloween Celebrations in the U.S.
- Long Weekend in Copenhagen | Fodor's
- 4 Reasons to Explore the Alentejo | Fodor's
- How to Use Your Cell Phone Internationally
- $135-$150 -- Suite: 4-Star All-Incl. Jamaica Beach ResortBookIt.com
- $928* & up -- Fly to Brazil from the U.S. (Roundtrip)TAM Airlines
- $183-$269 -- NYC: Manhattan Westin thru Holidays, 40% OffThe Westin New York Grand Central
- $118 & up -- FL Keys: 4.5-Star Waterfront Resort, 65% OffBookIt.com
- $798* -- Exotic Cook Island fares from West Coast, R/T w/TaxAir New Zealand
- $165 & up -- SC: 4-Star Hilton Head Island Resort, Save 40%The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa